Chapter 10:

Emma POV:

I woke up the next morning. It was Saturday, neither of us had anywhere to go. For a second I forgot that I let Killian stay here. I had been so dead tired that it was like being drunk. Then I turned over and saw him sleeping next to me, still oblivious to the world.

I settled into his side and started drawing patterns on his chest with my fingers. The way he'd reacted last night, so gentle and understanding. I'd never had it in my life. I was terrified, but I was also starting to realize that opening up my heart to someone was worth the risk. Besides, it couldn't be any worse than what I'd been through before. I would make sure of that.

I heard him hum with his eyes still closed, a soft smile on his lips. I stopped when I realized I'd woken him, but he grabbed my hand and placed it back on his chest, causing me to giggle as I continued what I had been doing before.

"Good morning." I said to him.

"Yes, it is." He replied, opening one dazzling blue eye and looking at me. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes. Better than I have in a long time, actually." I told him.

"Good. So how about some breakfast? Something you have yet to learn about me is that I love to cook." He offered.

"Killian, that would be amazing." I beamed at him. The man spent a night in a strange bed after comforting me, and now he wanted to make me breakfast.

"Well, love, do as you please and I'll raid your kitchen." He said, kissing me once.

"I'm going to shower. Thank you." I eagerly kissed him back again.

By the time I finished and got dressed, I could smell it. I walked into the kitchen and saw that he had made pancakes, eggs, and bacon.

"So what's the catch?" I teasingly asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Pardon?" He questioned.

"With you. There's no way you can be this perfect." I knew it would inflate his ego, but it was true.

"I assure you, love, I am, in fact, exactly what you see." He flirted with me. "There's not much you don't know about me at this point."

"Fine. Then tell me what I don't know, good and bad." I asked him as he handed me a plate. "I'll do the same, we'll take turns."

"Alright, I'll play." He agreed, sitting next to me at the table. "I love rum, it's almost always my drink of choice."

I thought for a moment. "I've lived in a different place every year since I got out of jail."

"I hope you don't plan on moving again soon."

"I think I'm actually starting to like it here." I leaned over and kissed his cheek as he blushed.

"I work at the docks because I love the ocean. One day I'd like to buy a boat of my own."

I smiled at the thought, he did seem like the type to love the water. "I do my job because finding people has been a habit of mine my entire life."

He smiled a bit sadly, he knew I was talking about my parents. "I have a cat, his name is Hook."

"As in Captain Hook?" I giggled a little.

"Aye, he was my favorite Disney character when I was a kid, he made me laugh." Killian smiled at the memories.

"I like cinnamon on my hot chocolate. It's a little quirk of mine."

"I'll have to try that one day. Hmm, I hate it that Liam calls me 'little brother'"

"But you are his little brother."

"I might be younger, but we are both grown men."

"Fair enough. I own and can shoot a gun, very well in fact."

"Well, that makes me feel better about your nighttime adventures with your job."

"I thought it might, your turn." I was just about finished with my breakfast.

"I'm absolutely terrified right now."

I almost choked on the last bite of pancake. "Why? What's wrong?"

"I haven't committed myself to anyone since Milah." His cheeks turned red as he looked down.

"Killian, it's okay. I'm scared too."

"Of what, love?" He took my hand.

"It's been almost a decade since Neal, and I haven't trusted anyone since him. You and I, we're in the same boat. I don't want to hurt you, Killian. I guess I'm just hoping that if I open myself up to you, you'll do the same. Maybe staying closed off all these years has been a real time waster."

"Or maybe it led us to each other." He kissed my hand. I could feel the heat creeping up my cheeks. I definitely could get used to this.

Killian POV:

The way she looked at me, terrified that I would rip her heart in two, but still willing to be vulnerable with me. It was a deadly combination, because it only made me fall harder for her. This woman would have my heart in no time, I was utterly screwed. But what the hell, it's been years, time to dive in head first.

We'd finished out breakfast now so I wanted to take her out.

"It's Saturday, Emma, if you want we can get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine." It was true, it was a beautiful day.

"That's sounds great, Killian." She went off to her room to get dressed for the day, and I waited until she was done to do the same.

We spent the day riding around in my truck, eating lunch at a small roadside cafe in between our town and the next. I could see she was enjoying herself, and it was contagious. The next town was bigger and more exciting. There was a park we took a walk though, including a pond where we were able to rent a paddle boat. By the end of the day, we were exhausted. We ate dinner at Granny's and I dropped her off at home before going back to my own house.