Chapter 6:

Emma POV:

It was a peaceful Sunday, until ten in the morning when my phone went off again. I saw Killian's number and rolled my eyes before opening the text. But it wasn't from him. It was his apparent brother apologizing and explaining on his behalf. I put my phone down immediately before I could respond. This time I had actually gotten some sleep and I was less stupid.

I couldn't believe I had done that last night, but hopefully he got the picture and would stop pursuing me. Because even though that quirk of his eyebrow as his crooked grin made me blush, I couldn't do it. You can't take eighteen years of being let down by everyone in your life and simply let it go. It was instinct now to push people away who wanted to get too close, and Killian was definitely trying to get way too close to me.

I sighed to myself and told myself I was okay with being alone for the rest of my life. Maybe I could get a cat or something. They silently keep you company and don't judge you, why couldn't people be that way?

The next day it was back to work. My recent purchase of a coffee maker was a good investment. It's latest result was warm in a cup in my hands, keeping me company on my way to the office.

And of course two seconds after I sat down, Ruby comes over.

"There's someone waiting for you in the front." She said.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah, and he's cute! Dark hair, blue eyes." She replied with a smirk.

I groaned. It had to be Killian. Apparently he just wouldn't give up. I made myself get up and walk to the front room, if only to get rid of him. I walked in expecting to have to make a big speech and make him get out. But it wasn't him.

"Oh!" I said in surprise. "Can I help you?"

Wow, they did look alike though.

"Emma Swan?" He asked in a kind voice.

"Who's asking?" I replied, crossing my arms.

"I'm Liam Jones."

Shit, they looked alike because they were brothers. So now Killian was sending his brother to try to talk to me.

"Look, I don't know what's going on with your brother, but I can't help you. I need to get back to work."

"Two minutes, please Miss Swan." He pleaded before I could take a single step. "Let me enlighten you."

I knew I would regret this but what the hell, in two minutes he would be gone. I could pretend to listen in the meantime.

"Two minutes." I said with a stiff nod and sat down in a chair.

"Killian understands you, so do I." He started.

I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow.

"Here's my theory on you, and feel free to stop me if I'm wrong. Someone, or many people, have done you wrong. Leaving you with low expectations of people, particularly ones who take an interest in you."

I tried not to show the emotions that were reeling in my head, because be was pretty much spot on. But how did he do that?

"You see, Miss Swan, Killian and I lost our mother when we were very young."

I dropped my jaw, I didn't know this and I suddenly felt the need to comfort Killian, but I shook it off.

"Not long after that, our father started drinking and abusing us. I supposed he couldn't handle her death, nor raising two boys on his own. So we endured that until the day after I turned eighteen. I had been working for some time and secured an apartment the day after my birthday. I went to the courts to file for legal guardianship of Killian. I expected our father to put up a fight, just to spite me for leaving home so young. But he signed over his rights without blinking an eye. I know it hurt Killian, but he never would say so out loud. After that, he was quite an introvert, except when it came to me. When he got into his relationship with Milah knowing she was married, I kept my opinions to myself. I could see she was using him, and of course she cheated on him. It was how their relationship had started, after all. He hasn't taken up an interest in anyone since, except for you. He can't seem to let you go, I think he feels pulled to you somehow. And if I know my brother, he would never want to hurt anyone the way he's been hurt. All I'm asking is that you give him a chance, because he'll never have the nerve to tell you all of this himself or to talk to you again after his drunk texting the other night. I can tell that you're having s hard time with this, because you and him are one and the same, you're kindred souls, Miss Swan."

I sat with my hands folded in my lap, taking in what Liam said. It was a lot to pile on a person's mind at once and I didn't know what to say. Fortunately, he did.

"I'll leave you to get back to your work then. Please take into consideration what I've just told you. I don't expect you to go running back to him, I just wanted you to know before you make your decision."

And with that, he left. I sat in silence for what felt like hours. He lost his mother, and then his father abused him and practically abandoned him. Liam was right, he could understand  a lot of what I had been through. But at least they had each other, I had no one. But maybe I could if I would just let myself.

I returned to my desk and spent the rest of the day in a haze. When I got home, I simply kicked my shoes off and laid in bed. Around nine in the evening, I finally stirred. I felt like a robot as I found his number in my contacts, praying he was awake because I knew tomorrow I wouldn't be brave enough to do this.

He answered on the third ring.

"Emma?" He said.

"Come over. We'll eat a pizza and talk." I spat out.

"Are you okay?" He asked. What was he so concerned about.

"I'm fine. I just want to talk." I assured him.

"Okay." He said, still a bit unsure. "I'll be over in about fifteen minutes."

I hung up the phone and dialed to the nearest pizza place, ordering one pizza for us and then going to the bathroom to fix my hair before Killian arrived. At least three hours of laying in bed didn't do me any favors.