Chapter 26: I am free

NEXT DAY:

I ask Cassy to help out move all my bags into the yellow taxi. "Anything else miss?" she asks.

"Are you really Richard's personal maid?" I ask her.

She fixes her brown hair since it is a windy day. "Yes, well his assistant. Sam got me the job. He is my step uncle."

"Oh cool"

"Yeah, well, I need to go help out with lunch. Is there something else I can do?" Cassy asks.

"Nope, thanks for helping."

I go to Richard's office. Mr. Webber, Richard, and Ian are waiting for me.

"Thanks for coming Alex," Richard says. He tells me to sit down next to Ian.

I sit and say morning to Mr. Webber.

"Morning miss," he says.

Ian fixes his red tie. He is wearing a white office suit. He shaved as well.

"Okay, I already got Alexandra's signature. All we need to complete this is Ian's signature."

Mr. Webber takes out the similiar looking papers that I signed. "Mr. Wilson please sign here and here."

Ian gets a gold pen from Richard's desk. He signs with no hestitation.

Every signature makes me more independent. It makes me realize that I am not Ian's wife anymore. Some sadness comes over me suddenly. I am still hurt.

"Okay that was the last x. I declare you know both as divorced," Mr. Webber says.

I'm free.

I look at Richard. He lightly smiles at me. I turn to Ian. He says sorry, touches my cheek, and walks away. Nothing. No more drama. No screaming. No more fighting. No more Ian.

Mr. Webber leaves the room leaving me alone with Richard.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

I sigh, "Yeah. I thought that maybe it was not going to be as easy."

Richard stands and walks in front me. He leans agaisnt the desk and puts his hands on his gray pant's pockets. "Well it was."

"I guess." I stand and cross my arms. "So what now?"

"You decide."

"What about Johnny?" I ask.

"Well he is still going to work for me."

"Yeah but can I come to visit him?" I ask.

"Yes," he answers.

"Okay"

Richard kisses me catching me off guard. I let him enjoy my lips but dont kiss him back. He pulls away.

I slap him, "That's for kissing me and for being a smart ass."

He rubs his cheek and chuckles. "Oh Alex. You don't even understand yourself."

I grunt, "Whatever. I am already leaving."

His smile disappears. "quickly? I thought you were going to stay a while longer."

"No, I am going back home but going to stay at a hotel before officially going home. I just want to be alone for a while," I answer.

"Okay, do you need anything?" he asks.

"No. I got everything."

Richards lightly smiles, "Okay. Well if you do anything later, I am here, and hope your trip goes well."

I nod. "Well it was a miserable time being here. Not going to miss this place. But thanks for, I guess, being nice to me this couple of weeks. Bye Richard."

"Bye Alexandra," he kisses my forehead and opens the door for me. I pass the door and look at him. His eyes sparkle.

I walk away. I go say goodbye to Sam and Charlie then go outside to get the taxi.

The driver opens the car door.

"Alex!"

Johnny and Kyle come running towards me.

"Wait!" Kyle screams.

Johnny comes and hugs me tight. "Be careful. I know you might hate me but I always love you. I am glad you going home."

Kyle comes next and hugs me tight. "I will always remember you Alex. I really hope you do find happiness."

Okay now I feel sad.

"Tell mom I miss her when you get home," Johnny says.

I nod. But cant hold the tears. "I love you big brother." I hug him tight and wet his shirt. He holds me and tells me it is going to be okay. I kiss his cheek and he kisses my forehead.

"Call me when you're home Alex," he says.

"Okay. Goodbye."

I quickly hop in and leave.

I am free now like the birds I see. They are coming back for the summer and fall. It's kind of ironic. I want to leave this place and they are so happy to come back.