Chapter 1: She is complicated

After graduating from college, I was finally ready to start the job I always wanted to do. I had applied as a nurse in a mental hospital. It was a hospital for patients with different forms of psychiatric disabilities or illnesses. I couldn't call it a madhouse, but some patients could be pretty lunatic. I always wanted to help these kinds of patients. My aunt had a comparable disability. I always loved to take care of her when we went to visit her. That was the first time I knew I wanted to help people with such conditions. I graduated from high school when I was 18 and had chosen psychological studies. My life wasn't bad at all. Although, one struggle got in the way for several years. The moment I found myself having a crush on a girl in class, I knew it was different than my feelings for old boyfriends. I knew, from that moment, that I was gay. I never had an actual girlfriend before. I hooked up with some stupid college girls, but there never was anything serious going on. I just wanted a girl who cared about me, and not about my ability to give her an orgasm. Because that's all they cared about, sex.

"Goodmorning!" Mister Sanders, my new boss, pulled me from my stare as he extended his arm. I gave him a hand and greeted back.

"We are very happy to have you here, today is a perfect day to start. Walk with me to my office, then I can hand you the right papers and files." He spoke with his low voice and headed off to his office.

"Take a seat. Do you want coffee?" He asked.

"Yes, thank you." I sat down and quietly observed him. He was a black man, wearing a light-blue business shirt with a dark red tie. He placed two mugs under the coffee machine. I looked around the office. I noticed a small picture hanging on the wall. A picture of him, surrounded by smiling patients and contributors. I played with my bracelet while noticing how nice the office looked. The man really had his stuff together. He placed the two mugs on some drink coasters and sat down.

"So, Selena Marie Gomez, am I pronouncing that right?" He said while looking at his computer screen. I shook my head.

"It's Gómez, with the emphasis on the O." I corrected. He nodded and went on.

"We have two wards in our institute: The primary and the secondary department. The patients with just a small form of a mental illness live in the secondary department. The patients who's cases are a bit more severe live in the primary department. They cannot leave their room without permission or guidance. You will help treat both of the wards, depending on your shifts." He explained and handed me a clipboard. I opened the clipboard and browsed through the lists of different patients. They all reported their basic information, but also social details.

"These are your patients. They are divided between those two wards. And here is your schedule. Do you have any questions?"

"Not yet." I said truthfully. He laughed.

"You can always come by my office to ask questions, but keep in mind that you are responsible for your patients during your shift. Here is an emergency belt." He handed me a belt with a little box on the side that contained buttons.

"Listen carefully. You press the red button in case a patient brings you or other patients in danger. Other nurses will quickly come to help you. The green button is for medical emergencies, such as seizures or physical damage. The ambulance will be called right away and nurses will help in this case as well. The blue button is for when something is wrong with your schedule. Whether it's a colleague who doesn't show up or you find out you have two shifts at a time. Clear?"

"Crystal." I put on the belt.

"Then you can now go to the second floor, room 14b. Kris will wait for you there."