Chapter Sixteen

Lector sighed. “Okay, so the key to opening the chamber works in three stages. The first and lowest requires three full dragons.”

Jenna nodded. “Well, we’ve got King, Zaria and Tato, so that stage is fine.”

“Then the next requires two pairs of lovers who share true love. Now, the love was underlined, so I’m guessing it’s a crucial part.

Minki smiled. “Well, Lector and I can take care of one half of that stage.”

Jenna nodded and clasped Vadmar’s arm. “And Vadmar and I will be the other couple.”

Vadmar’s face dropped and the colour drained from it. “Jenna, I… I really like you, but I… I can’t do this with you.” Jenna’s bottom lip quivered. Vadmar looked to his other side. “Kendli?”

Kendli’s head shot up and she shared at him with an astonished expression, Jenna burst out in tears and ran to where Sila was resting.

Lector started after her. Vadmar shot up, but his way was blocked by Lector’s arm. The Prince gave him a look of hatred. “You’ve done quite enough.”

Vadmar obeyed. Jenna took off on her dragon. Lector ran to King, dragging Minki after him. “We need to go after her. Sila can’t fly with passengers yet.”

As he passed Vadmar, Lector said, “Sort out your issues before we get back.”

Kendli was still frozen in her seat, trying to make sense of what had just happened. As Vadmar walked towards her, she shot up. “What the hell was that? Look at what you’ve done!”

“What did you want me to do? It wouldn’t have worked if I didn’t love the person.”

Kendli looked down and sighed shakily. “So you chose me?”

Vadmar took a step closer. “Yes, because I love you.”

She shook her head and her voice broke as she turned away from him. “I’m sorry, Vadmar, but I can’t do this-’’

“Why, Kendli? Why is it so impossible for you to love me?”

“Because you’re just like my father!” she blurted.

Silence. And then a gentle, “What?”

“He was daring, never stood back for any danger. He was reckless and it cost him his life. My mother spent her whole life worrying and I can’t do that. I can’t be with you and watch you slip away just like I did my dad.”

Vadmar hugged her from behind. “Kendli, people lose their parents. It happens; it happened to me. It’s bad, but you can’t stop living your life. Sometime or other, you have to move on.”

She turned around to face him. The door opened hesitantly. Should I tell him? she asked herself.

Zaria answered. Yes.

“There’s something about my father’s death that you don’t know…”

He frowned. “What is it?”

“He went alone to free our prisoners in the Dwarven Colonies and… and… I gave him the idea! But I only mentioned it casually; I didn’t think he would actually go and when my mother tried to stop him, I sided with him… I gave him the idea and I encouraged him to go. My father died because of me.”

Kendli clutched Vadmar’s vest and sobbed, tears streaming down her face. She had never shown this much emotion in her life.

“Everything is my fault. I taught Ceaser magic. I killed my father. Everyone would just be better off without me.”