Take Flight- Chapter One

Kendli stared at the mural that depicted majestic dragons and carefree elves living in harmony in the Casmera Forest.

She sighed and touched a gleaming blue dragon in purposeful flight. “The dragons used to be so splendid and free,” she muttered to herself.

Suddenly, a male voice sounded behind her. “They will be again…soon.”

Kendli jumped, a gasp escaping from between her full lips. She looked around to find a familiar face. His handsome features were smiling right up to his large blue eyes. She always found herself staring at him a little too long. She shook her head, trying to shake him out.

“Vadmar, what are you doing here? You shouldn’t scare me like that.”

He was always smiling in that way, his white teeth contrasting with the tan colour of his flawless skin. “The museum is open to all elves, Princess. Besides, I wasn’t trying to scare you; I was merely stating that the dragons will return to their former glory.”

She turned her back on him and continued walking, tracing he finger along the colourful wall. “I wish that were true, but we still have quite a way to go before the dragons are freed.”

“Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism.”

They reached the end of the wall. She turned, her side facing him. “I’d rather be realistic and then pleasantly surprised that disappointed.

He turned to face her. “A positive onslaught is half the battle.”

Vadmar was too close for comfort, so she spun around and left the museum- the only site in Lomova that showed dragons as they once were.

The sunlight was brilliant, but Kendli was not blinded. Elves were created in harmony with all aspects of nature.

Vadmar came up next to her, short black hair gleaming dark blue in the light. “We’re both on the Council; we could get them to go over to action.”

She sped up. “The Council is working on it.”

“They’re old and stubborn. All they do is talk about plans they will never execute.”

Kendli stopped. “He who fails to plan, plans to fail, Vadmar. If you were in charge, most of us would be dead. You can’t plunge into something that you haven’t thought through. If you don’t believe that, you are an impulsive fool.”

She stalked away, but he caught up, his optimism never faltering. “You know, some would call me brave. I bet you’re just too scared to fight the humans.”

She froze and looked up at him with eyes that struck lightning. “I am not afraid of anyone, especially humans.”

“Then help me convince the Council to take a leap of faith. You’re the Princess; your vote counts.”

She shook her head, avoiding eye contact. “I have no influence when it comes to my mother. She thinks I’m ignorant.”

“That’s absurd. You must be the least uninformed person I know. You know everything.”

“The Queen does not pay attention to young girls.”

“You know, to humans, ninety-five would hardly be young.”

“Well, I’m not a human and we live five times longer. So, in comparison to my mother, who’s 195 years old, I am nothing but an inexperienced child- Why are we discussing this?”

He sighed. “Listen, Kendli, today I am going to propose a plan… And it might seem crazy and impulsive, but I did think it through. Please give me your support.