Chapter 11 (When It All Went Down)

After another very long driving session filled with the 1975's new album, some My Chemical Romance, and Dalton and I sharing childhood stories. Then it got very deep all of a sudden. Dalton began telling me about his childhood. He told me that he has a bipolar disorder that made/makes his life very difficult. Music is his way of escaping it. This had a way of making all my problems seem like nothing. I realized that they really are nothing. At this point in time I knew that  Dalton and I had become really close. If he didn't feel like we were he wouldn't have opened up about something like this. 

Then trying to lighten the mood he turned the music all the way up and rolled down the windows. We both began screaming the lyrics to "Girls" as loud as we possible could. Well we sang as many of the lyrics as we could. I mean no one really knows what Matt Healy is saying, but his accent is beautiful so it's alright.

As we were jamming as usual I began to lose track of time and how long we had been driving. Then something caught my eye. It was a tall green sign that said "Welcome to Montana".

I immediately turned to Dalton. "Dalton are we going where I think we are?"

"Gee. I think you'll have to be more specific."

"Are you taking me to see Alex?"

"Ding Ding Ding." 

I began screaming and attempting to hug Dalton while he was driving.

"You're the best friend ever!"

"I'm just glad you figured it out before I had to start guess where he lives."

"So that's why my mom let us go."

"Yup."

"Should I text Alex?"

"No surprise him. Surprises are always better." Then he turned to me and smiled.

I agreed not to text him and gave Dalton directions to "The Underground". It was a cool teen hangout with every game system and flatscreen tv's in every room. On Thursdays they have an all day Super Smash Bros battle. Alex has never missed a single one. 

In about a half an hour we arrived and Dalton parked on the side of the building. Alex normally walked when the weather was nice like today, so  didn't bother looking for his car. 

"Do you want me to come in?" Dalton asked.

"Umm. Can you stay out here for a little bit. I just don't want him to make any assumptions. He's the jealous type."

He laughed at that. "Sounds good."

"But I promise once I explain things I'll introduce you!" There was a bit of silence after that.

"What are you waiting for?"

"Nothing." 

I started walking for the door and when I went inside I saw the 'battle' going on. But what I didn't see was Alex. I looked in every room. Then I went to the front desk to see if his card was checked in. It wasn't. I went back outside.

"Back already?"

"Yeah. He's not in there."

"I thought you said he's never missed one."

"He hasn't even since I've been gone. He still talks about them."

"Well I mean there's a first time for everything. Do you want to check his house?"

"Yeah maybe he has family over."

I gave him the address and in about five minutes we were there. I got out of the car and knocked on the door. No other cars were there besides Dalton's and Alex's, so I figured he was home alone. When no one answered the door I got the key from there mail box and began to walk back up to the door.

"What are you doing?" Dalton asked me getting out of the car.

"Letting myself in."

"Alright but I'm going to stand here inside the door and wait for you."

"Okay." I looked in the living room and in the kitchen first. Then I checked the basement where all of his games were. Nothing. Finally I decided the place to check would be his room. I walked up the stair and turned to the left. There was his door. I couldn't believe that I was actually back here. Just looking around the house brought back so many memories. I began to have hope because I was pretty sure I heard foot steps. I took a deep breath and put my hand on the door knob. 

I opened the door and my stomach dropped. As I opened the door I saw that there was a girl sitting with him. They had obviously just been kissing because her lipstick had smeared a little on his face. I wasn't even standing there for five seconds and I began crying. I immediately turned and ran back down the stairs. I heard him calling my name but I had nothing to say to him after that. There is no explanation needed for what I saw. He was cheating on me. I reached the door and grabbed Dalton by the wrist and ran him to the car. 

"Drive."

"What?"

"Drive. Now."

As we started moving Alex came out the front door still yelling my name. But Dalton did as I asked and just kept driving. Once we got to the interstate my phone began to ring. It was "Hey There Delilah". Alex's ringtone. I dismissed the call. When I did I saw that I had 16 new texts and 5 voicemails from him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Dalton asked.

I nodded my head. Still crying, I tried my best to speak. "Actually yeah. But can w-" I got interrupted by my phone once again. But this time, I turned my phone off and threw in in the back of the car.

"Can we?" He looked and asked looking for the rest of what I was going to say.

"Can we stop. I think I'm getting sick."

"Tell you what I saw a sign for a hotel about 20 miles away. Think you can wait that long?"

"Yeah I'll be fine." 

Well as fine as one could be in this situation.