Chapter 24 (Home)

(Note the time hop from then to now. They have just arrived back into Sunnyvale.)

Dalton parked his car right in front of his house just as it was when we left. 

"Well," he started. "Here we are."

I smiled but didn't say anything.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

"It's just..."

"Yes?"

"It's crazy."

"What?"

"This whole thing."

"What do you mean?"

"We just met a couples weeks ago, yet we just went a road trip to go get attacked by my ex boyfriend."

"Yeah I guess you're right."

We both smiled. I saw out of the corner of my eye a car pulling up to the curb in front of my house. It was my family. They saw us and my mom waved and we waved back. Dalton was about to get out of the car but I put my hand on his leg to stop him. He turned to me. 

"Yes?"

"What are we going to tell them?"

"Just follow my lead."

"But-" I tried to say, but he was already out of the car. I un buckled my seatbelt and hopped out of the car.

I ran over and hugged my mom. Whitney just sort of rolled her eyes at me. I guess that's what sisters are there for though. 

Dalton was standing behind me and as soon as I let go of my mom he came over to greet them. 

"Greetings Mr. and Mrs. Flynn." He paused for a second. "And Whitney. Quiet odd that you got back just a few moments later than we did isn't it?"

"That it is Dalton. That it is." My mom smiled. "Did you kids have fun?"

We both nodded.

"Where did you end up going?" She asked. Whitney and my Dad headed inside the house.

"Believe it or not we actually made it all the way to Montana."

"Is that so?" She looked at me. I shook a little, and then answered.

"Yeah I wanted to show him where we used to live." 

"Might I say, quite the place that little town was. I especially enjoyed the game center." Dalton added.

"Oh yes. Ellie used to spend all of her time there with Alex. Speaking of Alex did you-"

I cut her off. "Oh my gosh. I have to go tell Emily about the trip!" I saw whitney walk out of the house to come get something out of the car. "I'll let you go help unload with Whitney and Dad."

"I can take you if you want." She offered.

"No it's okay I'll walk." 

"We'll walk." Dalton corrected.

"You two are weird." Whitney said as she walked back into the house.

"Thank you." Dalton and I said laughing at the same time.

My mom headed back into the house and we started walking toward "Cool Beanz".

"We're going back to the place we first met?" Dalton asked.

"Yeah. Emily was actually the first one I met here."

"That girl you were talking to? Who works there?"

"Yeah."

"Well. Cool beans." He smiled at his stupid joke and I have to admit that I did too.

We reached the door and I ran inside to confirm that she was working. I saw her standing behind the counter and she came out and hugged me.

"Girl where have you been. You haven't came to visit me lately."

"I've been uh, busy." I looked back and Dalton stepped forward."

"Is that the guy who you went home with that first day?"

"Yeah, Dalton, he's my neighbor."

"Ooo. The boy next door." She smiled.

"More like the boy across the street." He added.

"Well. So you've been busy? With what?" She asked.

"We went on a road trip. He drove us all the way back to Montana. I showed him where I used to live."

"Wow. So you really have been busy. How are things with Alex?" 

"I don't think it's going to work out."

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. I think I might be falling for someone else." I grabbed Daltons hand.

"True love makes me sick. I'll see you guys around." She laughed.

We walked back to our houses and as we were about to part our ways Dalton spoke up. 

"You know what I just realized?"

"Whats that?" I smiled. No holding both of his hands.

"You never actually showed me where you used to live. Like the house and everything."

"I guess that's true. Through the craziness of... all that. I guess I didn't think of it. Sorry"

"It's okay. Maybe we'll just have to go back."

"Maybe we will." I smiled. 

We just stared at each other for a moment. Then he bent down and pressed his lips to mine. When we pulled back, I opened my eyes and smiled. I noticed that he did the same. We both started walking toward our houses. When I reached the door I turned around.

"Dalton?" He turned around.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks." I paused. "For everything."