10 (full chapter)

Troyes pov

When I was 11 I got a tumor on my heart called a cardiac tumor. Cardiac tumors are abnormal growths in the heart or heart valves.

Cardiac tumors are very rare.

Most cardiac tumors are benign, meaning they don't spread cancer and are less problematic. But even benign tumors can cause problems because of their size and location.

Sometimes, small pieces of tumor fall into the bloodstream and are carried to distant blood vessels and get in the way of blood flow to vital organs. That's what happened to me. It was terrifying. All in one day the doctor told us what had happened and I was rushed to the hospital. They told me I was gonna be okay and put me under some weird medicine that made me to sleep. I woke up 4 hours later with a giant scar on my chest. They told me they had removed the tumor for now but that I would never actually recover. They gave me meds to take everyday and I still take them now. I'm 16. That was 5 years ago.

I'm mostly clean heart-tumor-wise. I still have some weird shit going on in there but I try not to think about it. I haven't had any other severe problems and I'm hoping that it will stay that way. I'm completely unaffected except for the meds once a day and a giant scar across my pale chest.

...

I lay on my bed, my laptop on my stomach, watching a French documentary about food. Quite honestly, it was pretty boring. I yawned and shut my laptop. Why couldn't I find any good documentaries anymore? I climbed out of bed, stretching. I looked around, dazed form the sunlight pouring through my windows. It's was picture perfect. The light reflected onto my bed sheets making stripes of light. If Connor were here, he would take a picture. He would see beauty in my messy unmade bed.
     My phone buzzed across the room, snapping me out of my thoughts of Connor. I walked over to my dresser where it say and picked it up.

A text from Connor.

Connor: Hey Troye! Was wondering if you want to have lunch w me tomorrow at noon :)

My heart skipped a beat. I typed back.

Troye: Yes of course!

Connor: Sounds great. See ya then Troye-boy!

Blushing, I put down my phone and walked out of my room, shutting the door. I stood in the hall way outside my door, thinking about the three texts that had just been sent, when Sage, my sister, walked past.

"What happened to you? Your face is all red." She studied me carefully as I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Heh....nothing just uh....thinking that's all." I replied, embarrassed.

"You've got a dreamy look in your eyes. and your blushing. A lot." She smirked at me and stalked into her room, shutting the door loudly. Ew. Sisters are the worst.

I made my way into the kitchen and busied myself with cooking lunch. Well, "cooking." I stuck a frozen pizza in the oven and put together a little salad.

My phone buzzed.

Connor: What kind of food tomorrow?

Troye: Indian

Connor: Are we the same person? You read my mind.

Troye: I may or may not have supernatural powers and I may or may not be able to read minds....ya never know....😈

Connor: okay fine what am I think rn

Troye: That you can't wait for tomorrow and to see my beautiful face?

It took Connor a few minutes to reply. Maybe I went to far. Shit.

My phone finally buzzed again.

Connor: Bingo 😉

Troye: Knew it :)

I felt my face heat up and quickly out down my phone.

He thinks about me. Holy shit. Wow. Okay. Um. Woah.

I tell myself to calm down. I stood up and paced back and forth in the kitchen. One question raced through my mind.

Did I like him?

I have been openly gay for almost 3 months now. That wasn't a very long time and I'm only 16. It's confusing to me. I don't know what it actually feels like to like someone because I've never actually had a crush.

The oven beeping stops my pacing. I open it up and take my pizza out.

Do I like Connor?

It kept running through my head.