0 | 2

0  |  2

I WAS SO NERVOUS

You took my hand my hand into yours, holding it firmly as a sign of comfort.

"Relax," you breathed softly into my ear, your voice like velvet. "They'll love you."

Your voice was like a drug, soothing me as soon as I heard it. I leaned into you and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath to try and calm myself down.

"But what if they don't? What if they think I'm not the right kind of girl for their son to love?" I asked, my voice unsteady.

"Then I'll still love you anyway."

It was like your words were laced with fire, sending that warmth straight to my heart and igniting it with love.

I let you lead me over to the large group of people, your hand never leaving mine as you helped me through. It felt like everyone was staring at us, their eyes never moving as they took their time to scrutinise me as I walked towards them.

My hands started to sweat, and I awkwardly wiped them on my dress as we came to a stop and looked at the smiling elderly couple who had reached out to greet us. My heart was hammering wildly in my chest, a thousand scenarios running through my mind.

"Mum, Dad," your voice was clear and firm; no hint of worry present even though I knew you felt almost as worried as I. "I'd like you to meet my girlfriend."

The couple turned their gazes towards me, and I smiled. Because you had always said to me, no matter how awful something was, if you just smiled it would make things seem a whole better; and in this case, you couldn't have been more right.

"It's lovely to meet you," I said earnestly—surprising the both of us when my tone sounded confident and not at all nervous like I'd expected it to.

And so we talked; we talked for hours about everything, just getting to know one another. Your hand never left mine, holding it for reassurance and encouragement.

We did dance, of course—because I will always remember how much you loved to dance. We never left one another's side the entire night, because you were my lifeline, and I was holding onto you to make sure I didn't sink.

And then, at the end of the night when I needed you, you were there. Your strong arms lifted my tired body up, cradling me into your chest as you walked me out of the sight of your family, back into the normality of just the two of us alone together.

You gently placed me into the passenger's seat of the car, and then stopped for a moment to look into my face.

"What?" I mumbled sleepily, my eyes widening to look into yours.

"I just didn't think it was possible for me to love you more," you whispered back in response, your warm breath caressing my cheeks. "But tonight I fell even harder."

A smile blossomed onto my face, and you mirrored it effortlessly.

"I love you too," I breathed out, reaching up to attach my lips to yours.

You drove carefully back to your place, making sure to not disturb me as I slept. I felt your strong arms lift me back up again once we stopped, and you carried me up the stairs into your room.

A blanket of softness encased me as you gently tucked me into the bed, getting in on the other side and stroking a stray strand of hair off my head.

"New bed?" I guessed, my eyes still closed as I drifted in and out of consciousness.

You chuckled softly. "Just a new duvet."

"It's lovely," I murmured, snuggling my face into the pillow as you continued to caress my hair. "Your whole room is lovely."

"Well, how about instead of it being my room, we make it ours?"

Your words pulled me out of my sleepy state, and my eyes snapped open to meet yours in surprise. "What?"

"Move in with me?" You asked, a smile tugging at the corners of your lips. You looked at ease, but even I could see the flicker of worry in the depths of your eyes as you waited for my reaction.

"I would love to. There's nothing I would want more," I said excitedly, pulling you in for another quick kiss.

You let out a small sigh of relief and chuckled lightly, pulling me into your arms. I was trapped in your scent, letting myself drown in it; letting myself drown in you.

"Well good," you murmured, resting your chin at the top of my head and spooning me into your chest. "Because I don't plan on letting you go anytime soon."

If only you had actually meant what you had said—then that moment could have been perfect forever.