Chapter 9

“So when are you opening the bakery?” Reece asks me while I clean up after everyone.

Leighton, Jordynn, Makenna and Peyton took Gabby to the park while the adults went home for a little while.

“In two days. Tracie hired this girl she knows who needed a job to help us out but once school starts Tracie is going to come in until the girl gets out of school. Plus I am sure Leighton and Jordynn are going to help out here.” I say.

“Who is the girl?” He asks.

When I look at him I say, “Caroline…um crap what she say the last name was.”

I look for the paper that has the last name and things on it but am interrupted by knocking on the door.

I look up and see a blonde hair girl who looks scared.

“Mrs. Young told me to come down and figure out what time I should come in to help on Monday.” She says shyly.

“Are you Caroline?” I ask.

When she nods I tell her, “On Monday I am coming in early with my co-owner and we are going to get things ready. We open at ten so I say maybe come in about nine. You also can wear whatever you like.”

She smiles, “Okay. Mrs. Young said you guys already have thing planned out for when I start school.”

I nod, “Yeah she is going to come in and help out with things until five. I figured that would give you enough time to do whatever you needed to do after school. And if it gets to be too much to handle if you are in any school activities just let me know and we can work something out.”

“Okay.” She says then walks up to me.

She hands me a piece of paper with a number on it, “In case you need me earlier anytime.”

“Okay. Thank you Caroline. Oh and I hope you won’t mind working with my sister and her friend who may be helping now and then.” I say before she leaves.

“No I am okay with it.” She says before waving and leaving the bakery.

“She must see the nice person in you.” I hear Reece say.

“Why?” I ask.

“She is the shy girl. I have had her for math the last three years and maybe for her senior year. You may want to show her something’s with baking.” He says.

“So she is like how I was in school. And why do you think I should show her things with baking?” I ask.

“Because she may be shy but she is just like Leighton and Jordynn.” He says.

“MOMMY!” I hear and look up and see Gabby all dirty.

“What happened to you?” I ask laughing.

“Peyton is worse.” I hear Makenna say.

When Peyton walks in Reece and I start laughing.

“What did you and Gabby do?” Reece asks.

He scratches his neck and looks a little scared, “Well you see…”

He is cut off by Gabby when she yells, “Mud fight.”

We look at Peyton wide eyed while the girls are all laughing.

“Did you three let them really get into a mud fight?” I ask.

They nod and laugh. Makenna walks up and hands me her phone that has a video up. Recce watches it over my shoulder. It is a video of Gabby and Peyton’s mud fight.

“Well I can see my daughter one that mud fight.” Reece laughs.

I glare at him and look at the time. We only have twenty minutes until we are supposed to do our family dinner.

“Oh for the love of sprinkles…Peyton go home and take a quick shower we have twenty minutes until the family dinner. And before you say anything yes you are family.” I say before grabbing Gabby.

“Can one of you two give me a ride to the house since I was not allowed to drive?” I ask looking at Makenna and Reece.

“I will drive you. We can go to my place since it is closer.” Reece says.

I nod and check Gabby’s bag to make sure I put in extra clothing like I always do. I smile when I see I put in two outfits. While driving it hits me that Gabby and I are going to Reece’s place. To say I am scared would be an understatement because I am petrified.