Chapter 1

I hope you like this story. I am trying my first humor/romance story. Let me know what you think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh for the love of sprinkles!” I say looking at the cupcakes. Looking at my Makenna I say, “You were supposed to be watching them. This is the last party we have to do here and I do not think they want burnt cupcakes.” I yell in frustration.

“Come on Dez you know I did not mean to let them get burned. Just tell them that they are a new recipe you are trying.” Makenna says.

Looking at the clock, I see I have time to start a new batch. I smile and send Makenna to go get the ingredients to start the new batter. When we get the batter done and in the oven I start on the frosting.

When I am finished with everything and letting the cupcakes cool I go to find out where my best friend went. Like always, I see her on her phone.

Walking up behind her, I see she is playing some game, “Well now I know how you burnt the cupcakes.”

She jumps so high she falls off the stool and onto the floor. I am laughing so hard I am bent over holding my stomach.

“That was not nice Dez. I could have died.” She says picking up her phone after she dusted of her butt. 

Laughing I say, “Come on we have to add the sprinkles than pack them up and take them to the party.”

Makenna nods and walks into the kitchen. I sit on the stool in the kitchen and laugh silently to myself while watching her. Makenna has a habit that when she is concentrating on something so hard she ends up with her tongue sticking out of her mouth.

My phone ringing makes me stop laughing at Makenna. Grabbing off the table I see it is Kimberly. We are supposed to deliver the cupcakes to in fifteen minutes.

“Hello Kimberly.” I say.

“Where are you guys the surprise party starts in fifteen minutes.” She says in her high squeaky voice.

You know how Janice sounds on Friends well that is what Kimberly’s voice sounds like. She has the laugh and all.

“Yeah we are packing up the last of them now. Will you tell me now who the party is for?” I ask.

“Now darling you have asked me that many times and I tell you again as long as you made your double chocolate cinnamon cupcakes you will not go wrong.”

“Okay I get it. We will be there in about five minutes. While talking to you we were packing up our truck.” I say.

“Okay! We will see you soon.” She says in a squeaky cheerful voice.”

“She didn’t tell you did she?” I her Makenna say from the back.

“No. She keeps saying what she has been saying for the last week.” I say putting in my Bluetooth earpiece.

“At least whoever it is has good taste in cupcakes.” She says looking at her phone.

I hear her text message tone go off, “Who are you texting?”

“My mom. She and Phil just finished painting the rooms the way we want them in the house. She went and checked on the progress at the bakery since she does not trust my dad. I swear that divorce made her have trust issues.” She says.

I feel bad for her because she hates her step dad. He is nice but she still feels like her mom and dad should be together.

“So how is it going?” I say pulling into the Kimberly’s driveway.