32

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I stepped into the batter's box, swinging the bat around. DeNunez prepared to pitch while I got into stance. He'd been improving his pitching skills lately. He could now throw a curveball, and so far, no one had been able to hit it.

"Want me to go easy on you?" Denunez yelled at me.

I sent him a small smile and shook my head. "Nope. Give me your best shot."

"All right. You asked for it!" He smiled, adjusted his KC cap and wound up.

Of course, he threw a curve ball. I swung the bat but missed. I wore my Dodgers cap backwards because the sun was behind me, but even still, I turned it around so it shaded my eyes. My smile never subsided.

"Strike one!" Ham announced.

I hit the ground with the bat and got back into stance. DeNunez wound up and pitched another curveball. This time, I didn't even bother to swing, because I knew I wouldn't have hit it anyway.

"Strike two!"

"You just gonna keep pitching curveballs?" I shouted.

DeNunez laughed. "Hey, you asked for it. All right, though, I'll go easy on you with this last pitch."

I shook my head and got back into stance. "Nah, you can throw another one. If I'm gonna learn to hit a curveball, then I'll need you to pitch them."

"Okay, whatever you say!"

DeNunez wound up for the final time and pitched another curve. I stared at the ball intently, focusing on how fast it was coming and the direction. The time seemed to slow around me and I swung.

Crack!

The bat smacked into the ball, sending it flying through the air in the opposite direction. A bright smile grew on my face. I dropped the bat and took off for first base.

I made it to second base before the boys retrieved the ball. Bertram and Smalls switched positions that day, so Smalls stood at second. He greeted me with a smile.

"Hey, that was a good hit! You're the first one to hit DeNunez's curveball!" he said excitedly.

I chuckled and patted his shoulder. "Thanks. Who knows, maybe you'll be the next."

Smalls smiled brightly. "You think I could?"

I winked. "Yeah, I do. You're good, you know. Really good."

He chuckled. "I wasn't last year. But thank you. That means a lot."

I patted his shoulder once more and sent him a nod. "Any time."

A loud crack was heard, and though I was distracted, I took off running for third base without even thinking. Because pretty much everyone decided to try new positions that day, Ham awaited my arrival at third. He held his glove out for the ball that was flying towards him. I quickly picked up my pace and slid to the base.

Right after my foot touched the base, he caught the ball. He quickly bent down in attempt to get me out, but it was too late. I smiled up at him, my breathing heavier.

He straightened back up and threw the ball back to DeNunez. After that, he offered me his hand. I took it, and he pulled me up.

"Good job," he remarked.

"Thanks," I breathed, resting my hands on my hips.

"No problem."

I took a lead-off from third base and watched closely as DeNunez got ready to pitch. Timmy was now at bat, and he didn't look too excited. We all knew DeNunez was going to throw a curveball.