28

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

"It's gonna be fine."

I sighed, staring down at the asphalt Benny and I walked upon. He gently grabbed my right hand, interlocking our fingers.

"Don't worry so much, babe. Whether they all admit it or not, they all miss you. After today, everything will be back to normal," Benny insisted.

"I don't know about it, Benny. They made it very clear how they felt," I replied.

"Yeah, but that was when they first found out and they were too shocked to really think things through," Benny countered. "They've had a lot of time to think about it now. And I know it helped when they found out you punched Phillips."

My lips curled into a smirk at the memory. "Well, I'd imagine so, but if they wouldn't even listen when you tried to talk to them about me, I doubt they've fully gotten over it."

"They will, Kayla," Benny replied with a sigh. "Listen to me, it's gonna be okay. I promise."

"How can you be so sure?"

He sent me a smile. "I just have a feeling. They've grown attached to you, they can't stay that mad at you for long. Trust me, I couldn't do it either."

I giggled, shaking my head. "Yeah, well, that's different, you dork. You're my boyfriend."

Benny's smile widened greatly. "I love hearing that."

"Me too," I agreed, laughing.

Benny and I reached the sandlot a couple minutes later. As I nervously walked onto the diamond by his side, a wave of confusion washed over me, and I spoke the first thought that popped into my mind aloud.

"Where is everybody?"

I looked up to see that Benny looked just as confused as I did. "I have no idea. Maybe they stopped by the store or something, but I'm sure they'll be here soon. Do you wanna wait at the dugout until they get here?"

"Sure," I muttered. On the inside, I let out a deep sigh. I wanted to make things right with the boys, but even though I had nothing to fear, I was sort of afraid to face them. I wasn't scared of them as people, but I was afraid of what their reactions would be.

Benny and I approached the dugout and I stared down at the screen of my phone to check my social media notifications. Ever since I became more active in California, I hadn't really had much time for social media. For that, I was actually proud.

Before we could reach the dugout completely, Benny tapped my shoulder. "Look."

I immediately looked up from my phone and, all of a sudden, all eight boys jumped up from behind the bench, holding up a big sign that read, "Welcome back, Makayla. We missed you!" They yelled out the same thing in unison, almost giving me a heart attack.

When I had calmed down, I clamped my hand over my mouth, hiding my growing smile. "Oh my gosh," I said, my words coming out muffled.

Benny laughed, jogging to the inside of the dugout so he could stand at the side.

"We missed you!" Benny added.

I slid my phone into the pocket of my high-waisted jeans and covered my face with both hands. Did they all seriously plan this?

I then heard footsteps nearing me. I removed my hands from my face and that was when I saw that the boys were jumping or climbing over the the bench and running towards me. In seconds, they were all attacking me with hugs. Soon, all of the boys and I were engulfed a big group hug.