Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four days had passed since the night Bertram found out about Phillips. I thought that Benny knew about us too, because I saw someone walking back into his house that night, but it was probably his mom or sister. I was assuming that was the case, because he hadn't said anything. Bertram wasn't mad anymore, and he agreed to not say anything to anyone because I would tell them when the time was right. He was also still staying at my house. So far, no one had showed up for him, and we had no problems.

Benny went to church with us the previous Sunday, which was the next day after everything happened. He seemed a bit more distant, but we still stuck by each other's side.

The time was 11:24 am when I woke up from a dream about Benny. In the dream, we kissed and everything went perfectly. When I woke up, I was happy, but knowing that it would never become a reality put me in a bad mood. Speaking of bad moods, my period finally stopped, and I knew everyone would be happy about that. I'd been stuck in a bad mood the last few days, and I took it out on anyone who annoyed me in any way possible.

While taking a shower to wake myself up, all I could think about was Benny. He was absolutely perfect to me. But he looked at me as nothing more than a friend.

I had a Bluetooth speaker that I hooked my phone up too, so music played loudly. I sang along to every song. Hunger by Ross Copperman played, and a smile formed on my lips. I used to be obsessed with it after I finished the season 6 finale of The Vampire Diaries. I sang along loudly, needless to say.

When I got out of the shower, I went through my normal routine, then got dressed in a dark purple tank top tucked into black high-waisted shorts, an open black and white flannel and black Vans. After straightening my hair to perfection, I put my black Yankees cap on backwards.

Finally, I left for the sandlot. Of course, Bertram and Luke left a while before. Nobody seemed to mind that I showed up when I wanted, though that was usually around a certain time, so they knew when to expect me.

As I walked to the sandlot, I messed around on my phone. All of a sudden, I heard a whistle from behind me. I turned to see Phillips on his bike, riding towards me. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion; I thought he would leave me alone after I rejected him.

"Hey, pretty lady," he greeted me with a cheesy smile.

My frown remained on my face when I asked, "What do you want?"

"Just to hang out," he answered, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Uh, well, I can't hang out right now," I replied. "I'm going to the sandlot. Feel free to follow me there, but whatever happens when you do, I am not responsible for it."

Phillips chuckled, shaking his head. "That's okay. Another time, then."

I simply nodded, then turned on my heel. I continued walking to the sandlot when Phillips started rolling next to me.

"I'm not gonna give up that easily, you know," he said. I stopped in my tracks, and he followed the action. I turned to face him, placing my hands on my hips.

"Jordan, we can't do this," I responded. "I appreciate the effort, I really do, but those boys are my friends. You're their enemy. If they knew I was hanging around you, they'd be crushed and they'd feel betrayed. I've already went through it with the only one who knows the truth. So, could you do me a favor? Just give up."

Phillips's smile disappeared, and I almost felt bad. But I had been harsher toward boys before. At least I told him straight up instead of leading him on.