16

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

I was awoken by someone shaking me. When I finally forced my eyes open, I found that Luke was hovering over me. I hadn't seen him at all the previous day, and though we werr probably still fighting, it made me happy to see him.

"Someone's here for you," Luke informed me.

I wiped at my eyes while sitting up. "Who is it?"

"Some boy named Jordan," he answered, shrugging.

I cocked an eyebrow. "I don't think I know a Jordan here."

Luke shrugged again. "Well, I don't know, but he's downstairs waiting for you. Better do something with that before you do anything." He pointed to my face, and when I gasped, he laughed.

"You ass," I muttered, unable to hold back my smirk.

"I'm just kidding, you dork," he replied, smiling before ruffling my hair. "Now you have to fix it. I'll tell him you'll be down in a minute." With that, Luke left my room, closing the door behind him.

I grabbed my phone from my nightstand, unhooking it from the charger. The first thing I did was check all of my notifications to my social medias. I posted both of the pictures of me and Benny on Facebook and Instagram, and people had been blowing me up. My old friends from Tennessee were messaging me and commenting on the posts talking about how cute he was, and how lucky I was.

Instead of replying to anything, I set my phone back down and went to my bathroom. I brushed my hair and teeth, and changed into a white, long-sleeved Aeropostale shirt and black sweatpants.

During my descent of the staircase, I heard Luke talking. When I reached the living room, I craned my neck to see who was sitting on the couch. He stood up, and my heart dropped into my stomach.

"Hi, Makayla," he greeted me with a smile.

"Phillips," I muttered in response, not sure of what to do. "What are you doing here? How did you even know where I live?"

Phillips approached me. "I have my ways. But remember how I'm making up for my mistakes? I'm still trying to do that. And so today, I'm going to take you out to get breakfast. It's all on me."

A frown formed on my face. "What made you think I'd want to do that?"

He shrugged. "I guess I was just hoping you wouldn't turn it down. Who turns down free food?"

I sighed. "Well, I can't. I have to go to the sandlot. It's an everyday thing for me."

Phillips's smile almost completely disappeared. "Well, couldn't you take some time off? You could go after we eat."

"The boys might worry, and I can't exactly tell them I'm hanging out with you," I replied. "They still hate you."

"Please, Makayla. Just take some time off. I just want to make it up to you for what I said, and I just got some money."

I looked at Luke for help, and he had a smirk playing on his lips. When he noticed me staring at him, he stood up.

"I'm not hanging out with Skylar until later today," Luke piped up. "I'll be going to the sandlot. I'll tell the boys you're busy with something, and that you'll show up later."

I clenched my jaws; that wasn't exactly what I was hoping to hear from him. He was either trying to get back at me, or he actually thought I was worried about what the boys would think if I didn't show up to the sandlot.

Phillips smiled at me. "See? There you go."

I let out a deep sigh. "Fine, but I'm going in this."