25

Friday, July 10, 2015

The sun began to set and we all made our way to the dugout, sweating and breathing heavily. As usual, when we finally reached our destination, I pulled an ice cold water bottle out of the mini fridge.

Bertram pulled me aside and, after I sent him a confused look, he said, "My aunt will be here today."

A smile formed on my face. "Wow. I'm happy for you, Bertram. It'll be sad when you're not at my house all the time, though."

"Trust me, I'll visit," he assured me. "You guys are like my real family now. I really appreciate everything you've done for me. You have no idea how much it means to me."

I patted his shoulder. "That's what friends are for, man."

"You're more like my sister," he responded, a smile forming on his lips. "Benny is really lucky to have you. I'm glad you guys are finally together."

I chuckled. "So am I. If it weren't for you, though, I might still be in the place I was before and none of this would have happened. So thank you."

Bertram's smile widened slightly. "Don't thank me. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I just sped up the process."

"Thank you for speeding up the process, then," I returned, laughing. "I really wish the best for you. If you ever need anything, you know how to contact me. I'll be there."

Bertram smiled, nodding his head. "Same goes for you. Hey, uh . . . how's things going with Phillips?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," I muttered. "On the Fourth of July, he came over. I ended up telling him we couldn't be friends and he showed his true colors. He told me he never actually cared, that I don't have a chance with Benny and stuff like that. I guess I forgot because of everything that happened with Benny."

Bertram's smile disappeared, replaced with a frown. "What a dick. You okay?"

I laughed, nodding. "Yeah. Why wouldn't I be? All I can think is, finally, he'll leave me alone. I'm relieved, really. And to be truthful, it didn't really bother me in the first place."

"Dang," he responded, laughing. "Well, that's good. If it hurt your feelings, I would've had to go kick his ass. I want to anyway."

I smirked, shaking my head slightly. "He isn't worth it, trust me."

"I know that. Speaking of that, how are your hands?"

I glanced down at my hands, which were still wrapped up. "Healing. The bruises are almost gone and they don't hurt much anymore. When I went to the doctor's, they did something with my knuckles, and that hurt, but it's fine now."

"Good," he responded, nodding and stuffing his hands in his pockets. "That's one of the many things you did for me. Thank you."

"You're welcome, man," I replied, sending him a reassuring nod. "I'd do anything for you guys."

I looked over and my eyes fell onto Benny, who was sitting at the dugout in between Yeah-Yeah and Luke. His eyes were locked on me. A small smile formed on my lips and he returned it when he realized that I was staring back at him.

"I don't know how I got so lucky, but I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever been this happy to call someone mine," I said, finally averting my eyes back to a smirking Bertram.

"I know," he replied. "You don't even have to say it. It's so obvious. I can see it in your eyes, and his too. He might even be happier than you are."

I laughed, shaking my head. "I highly doubt that."

"I don't! Did you see the way he reacted when he kissed you? He couldn't even believe any of it."