24

Sunday, July 5, 2015

For church, my mom forced me to dress in a yellow sun dress with white flats. I honestly felt like I could hate her, but she was only doing it because she knew I was dating Benny now. She curled my hair to perfection and even put a little makeup on me. By the time she finished dolling me up, a murderous glare was permanently stuck on my face.

"He's downstairs right now," Mom informed me, sending me a wink. She stood in my doorway.

I crossed my arms, glaring at her, but her smile didn't fade a bit. "Too bad I'm not leaving this room."

"Oh, come on, you look great!" she insisted.

"No, I don't," I grumbled. "I'm not girly like you, momma, I don't wear this kind of stuff. When he sees me, he's just gonna laugh."

"I bet he doesn't," she countered. "But we're about to leave, so let's go."

I rolled my eyes, sighing. "I really, really don't like you."

"Suck it up, quit being a baby," she laughed.

"I look ridiculous!" I exclaimed. "And I have to have my hands wrapped up, too. None of this goes together at all. People are gonna look at me and think, is she a boxer or is she girly? And the answer is not the girly one, if anything! I look stupid."

Mom's smile finally disappeared, and she rolled her eyes. "Just come on. Get it over with. Nobody's gonna care what you're wearing."

"I'm wearing my Jackie Robinson jersey with it then," I mumbled, finally standing up from my bed. "And you cannot stop me."

"You left it downstairs in the living room," Mom informed me, a smirk forming on her lips. "Go get it, then."

"Mom!" I cried, plopping down on the bed again. "Oh my God." I sighed deeply. "You're really trying to kill me. Just as soon as I get the guy of my dreams, too! That's just cold!"

Mom laughed, shaking her head at me. "If you don't get up, I'm gonna get Luke to pick you up and take you down there."

I sighed, hardening my glare, so I was basically glaring daggers at everything, especially Mom. I stood up and followed her downstairs. Sure enough, Benny was in the living room, sitting on the couch with Luke and Skylar.

I covered my face as if he couldn't see me that way. When we reached the bottom of the stairs, I finally uncovered my face to see that Benny was already approachig me. When he saw the murderous look on my face, his eyes widened.

"Whoa, you don't look too happy," he said with a small chuckle.

I looked him up and down. He was wearing a black tuxedo and his hair was slicked back. He looks amazing!

"Yeah, but I do look ridiculous," I muttered. "I'm sorry I look so crazy right now, my mom forced me."

Benny smiled, shaking his head. "It's different for you, but you look lovely."

"Lovely," I repeated in a whisper, my glare finally being replaced with a growing smile. "Thank you."

"Any time," he replied. "And if it makes you feel any better, my mom and Liz forced me to dress like this too. They want me to impress you, I guess."

I laughed, nodding. "Hey, it's working. You look really good. You could probably pull anything off."

Benny's smile widened. "Well, look at you, princess. You take my breath away."

I giggled, covering my face with my hands. "Oh, God. Thank you, Benny."

He smiled, grabbing onto my hand lightly. "Am I doing this right?" he whispered. "Like, this is what people do in relationships, right? I don't wanna mess this up."