29

Friday, July 24, 2015

A knock was heard at the door and I immediately ran to be the first to open it. When I opened the door, the Rodriguez family came into view, Benny standing in the front. He flashed me a smile and I welcomed them inside.

Friday came around quickly and, finally, we were all having dinner. Skylar was already here, though; she had been here all day, considering she stayed the night with us. She slept with Luke, and I was scared to death all night of waking up to noises. Fortunately, I slept soundly all night, and when I gave Luke a certain look, he insisted that they didn't do anything bad.

I find that hard to believe, but I'll let him think he's slick.

Because we were all having dinner, Benny, Luke, Skylar and I left the sandlot early to get ready. Skylar didn't do much, but the boys and I had to take showers to get rid of the sweat and dirt.

"Hi!" my mom chirped, quickly making her way into the living room from the kitchen. The smell of steak wafted through the house.

Mine and Benny's mom began talking and, from there, we knew it wouldn't stop for a while. They made their way into the kitchen, and Benny, Elizabeth and I made our way to the couch.

"Hey, Makayla, how have you been?" Elizabeth asked.

"Really good, you?"

She sent me a wink. "Well, I got a job at the pool as a lifeguard, so I'm pretty good too."

A smile formed on my lips and I responded, "Really? That's awesome. Congratulations. Maybe now you can find a way to sneak us in for free."

Elizabeth laughed loudly. "Benny said the exact same thing. I'll try, but I can't make any promises."

"But I can."

The three of us immediately turned to look at Luke, who was descending the staircase with a smirk playing on his lips. We all flashed him questioning looks.

"I got a job at the pool too," he explained. My mouth dropped, and Benny and I instantly glanced at each other with widened eyes, remembering our conversation about them getting the same job the other day. "I work at the register, though."

Elizabeth laughed lightly. "How ironic. That's cool, though. I like how we both finally got a job and it's at the same place."

"Very ironic," Benny added, but only loud enough for me to hear. I giggled, nodding in agreement.

All of a sudden, Skylar's voice was heard calling Luke's name. Seconds later, she was descending the staircase quickly.

"Oh, they're already here?" she asked. "I didn't even know."

Skylar reached the bottom of the staircase and, finally, her feet hit the ground. She wore a white lace tank top, a pink skirt and white flats. When she noticed Elizabeth sitting on the couch, her expression changed. She immediately made her way to Luke and pecked his lips.

"Sorry I took so long, baby," she spoke in a light voice.

I glanced over at Elizabeth with a slight frown and she looked back at me with a confused expression. She then mouthed to me, "What's her problem?"

I shrugged, turning to look at Benny. He was leaned far back into the couch, a tiny smirk playing on his lips. He was trying to hold back a laugh.

We all looked back at Skylar and Luke to see that she was shooting glaces Elizabeth's way but trying to act like she was only paying attention to Luke.

"Uh, I'm gonna go get my phone, I left it upstairs," I announced.

"Mind if I come with?" Elizabeth asked.