Lunch surprise

"Clary, honey, we have some guests for lunch, I'm sorry I forgot to tell you !" My watch indicated 11:30am already.

"What ? Who ? Dad, you should have told me, I just woke up, I'm not ready at all !" I shouted back. I hated when they do that, planning stuff without telling me. I ended up not being ready at all, looking like a big mess. Once they woke me up a Sunday morning, which was never a good thing, I was always grumpy if I didn't sleep enough the week end, and just told me 'Wake up, your great-grandparents are here'. I remembered thinking 'I didn't even know they were still alive' first. Then I quickly dressed myself and after an hour with them, my mum finally told me my dress was upside down. Yep. Most awkward moment of my life. When I'm not ready, I always, always do something wrong.

"Simpson family ! They should be here soon !"

"WHAT ?!" I screamed that loud that even the neighbors have probably heard me. "Fuck, fuck, no way..." I muttered. "Dad, are you being serious ? How did you forget something that important ?" I shouted and heard a sorry from downstairs. I needed to get ready, fast. I ran to the bathroom and took the fastest shower I'd ever taken, and the most funny thing was that, as a lot of people on Sundays, I needed to wash my hair. Which also meant drying them, which meant wasting my time. My hair took ages to dry and I decided to plait them. I went back to my bedroom and stood in front of my wardrobe for five good minutes. I had no idea of what I should wear. I had a knot in my stomach by now. Why didn't Bradley told me ? Why didn't he text me ? Ugh, I didn't like surprises, I really didn't. I focused on my wardrobe and my black dress was calling me. It was so pretty, just a simple black dress with a V-neck and long sleeves, not too short but not too long. I bit my lips. I hadn't worn it for about, two years maybe ? My body hadn't really changed so it still fit me, but dresses weren't my thing. My lips started hurting and I realized I was biting a bit too hard. I sighed and took the dress. I needed to try it, I wanted to see how it looked on me now, maybe I would like it, maybe I would like me in it. Plus, maybe Bradley would like to see me in it. It was more girly than black jeans and my dad's t-shirts. I wanted him to think that I was pretty, I wanted to be pretty. I put black thighs and my dress on, took a deep breath and looked at me in the mirror. It was flared after the waist and at my forearms too. It was pretty. I was pretty. I blushed a bit, thinking of Bradley saying these words. I decided to keep it, I'd probably feel uncomfortable later, but I'll try to ignore it. I went back to the bathroom and try, I said try because I was bad at it, to put some make up on. I just put some light pink eyeshadow and mascara. I wanted to do my eyeliner, but I was incapable to do it correctly, so I gave up. I didn't have the time. I was almost done putting lipstick on when the doorbell rang out in the house. They were here. I inhaled deeply and went downstairs. I then recognized them. I saw them when I was younger, but again, I guess her death made me forget some things I didn't want to think about. My parents were hugging them.

"Hello Clary!" Anne, Bradley's mother said, smiling at me, opening her arms to me. I awkwardly hugged her back and then Derek, Bradley's father.

"Hi Anne, hi Derek. It's good to see you again." I said, quietly. I suddenly felt so ashamed that I forgot them, that I forgot their faces, their voices, everything. I shouldn't have. "Nat isn't here ?"

"No, she wasn't in Birmingham. She asked me to say sorry for her." I smiled and nodded. I bit my lips and noticed that Bradley was nowhere to be found. Anne leaned to me and whispered. "He's just forgotten the cake in the car." She then winked at me and made me blush. She was right, a second later, Bradley stormed out in the house.

"Sorry, I forgot the cake!"

"Clary, can you put it in the fridge, please ?" My mum asked me and I nodded, taking Bradley by the arm so he would follow me. Once in the kitchen, I opened the fridge and took the cake from his hand. As soon as I closed it, he pushed me against it and put his forearm next to me head, our heads separated by a few centimeters only.