He shakes his head. "I may not have to – but I certainly want to. Thank you for coming. I take it you've met Max? He passed me on his way out."

I nod, chuckling. "He's amazing. I'm so glad you have each other to do all this together."

Jack takes hold of my hand, leading me to the table at the front of the room that has more settings than the other tables – clearly marking it as the head table. "I want you to sit up here tonight with me and Max. Lola and Tom will be here as well and so will Gen and Em."

I make a face, confused why they would be there. "Why are they at the front?"

Jack smiles at me, taking my other hand as well so that he holds both. "I want you here for many reasons, darling." He pauses, smiling a crooked smile. "Is it okay if I call you darling?" He doesn't wait for my reply, just plows on. "The first reason is because I get to see you dressed beautifully, as you deserve. Secondly, I want you by my side as this change comes into place – you and Max; you're the most important people in my life. And thirdly, I want you to be a part of Creal."

I close my eyes, wishing I could say yes in every form, but I've chosen a different path. I am a writer – that is my passion. "Jack, I can't – I'm a writer. I've told you I can't."

Jack laughs lightly. "Darling, I haven't mentioned it until now, but Creal is no longer just publishing. Max and I have decided to make it what he nicknamed, The Umbrella of the Arts. We're starting a new movement with the Creal name, one that will have Architecture, Publishing, Makeup & Design, Music and Writing. We want it to be a platform for creative thinkers. I need you to help me – I need you to be in the Writing department."

My jaw drops, flabbergasted. "Jack, are you – are you serious?"

He nods, smiling. "In every way, darling."

"Yes, a thousand times yes. Of course, I still need my classes, but yes – I can't think of a more perfect scenario!" I wrap my arms around him, hugging him like I've never hugged anyone before.

He pulls back. "Darling, Mace... One more thing... I want you to consider us again. I want us to have another go at things. Because I still love you. I never stopped."

The smile slowly drops from my face and I feel my brow furrow. "Oh, Jack..."

He brings his hand up to cradle my face, his thumb grazing the skin there. "Macey, we both messed up, but we're only human. I know you wanted to give us being friends a go, but, Darling... It's torture. I hate being near you and not being able to hold you, kiss you and call you mine. Please, love, let us be together again."

"I'll have to think about it, Jack. I'll give you an answer by the end of the night if that's okay?" I look at him, wanting him, but terrified that to say yes would be our inevitable end.

Jack presses a small kiss to my forehead. "However long you need, as long I know you'll answer in the end."

***

When guests start to arrive to the party and the band begins playing music, I feel as if I'm swept away into an entirely different world from the one I've always know. This new world is filled with bubbling champagne, graceful laughter and gowns so richly made they cost more than my entire college tuition ever will.

Everywhere I turn I see dollar signs, I see Jack's people.

We sit at the head table, dining on expensive food. First I eat my tomato basil soup, knowing it isn't your ordinary canned kind. The rich creaminess tastes absolutely divine.

Jack leans near me, his nose brushing my skin ever so lightly, sending bumps across my skin. "How does it taste?" He asks in a murmur for only me to hear.

I smile and turn to look at him, already feeling full from the soup. His eyes look back at me, the lights making them appear golden in hue. "Amazing," I murmur back.

Max watches us with amusement from across the table. "Have you asked her yet, Jack?"

Jack smiles, his hand coming to support my back, resting between the chair and my flesh. He nods to his brother, subtly - graceful. "She said she'd gladly be a part of Creal as well as continue her classes."

I notice how different Jack sounds. It's as if his father's death had aged every aspect of him. He sounds older, more confident, more sure of himself.

I love it.

Max smiles at us, giving me a wink as the next course is placed in front of us – filet mignon with cheesy pancetta and shrimp. "That's excellent news. I can't wait for our vision to come into place."

I begin cutting my steak, careful strokes of my knife. I realize I belong to this world of grace and luxury - I am falling into the mold I was made from. "Neither can I."

When dessert rolls around I begin cursing the fact that I can't abandon the beautiful dress for my sweats. I've chosen to eat the raspberry sherbet with strawberry shortcake. It's tastes just like the rest of the meal – absolutely divine.

Finally, the meal is over and Jack stands up to address everyone, Max joining him. Everyone turns their attention to them and Jack begins his practiced speech.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for joining my brother and me in this new chapter for our family. We ask that you give ear to the new vision we hold for Creal." He pauses and looks to me and I still see that golden hue in his eyes - my golden boy. My golden boy. "We hope to create an Industry of the Arts. Creal Publishing will be morphed into Creal Arts; which in turn will hold fields for architecture, music, writing, publishing, and makeup & design."

Max takes over. "We have already begun the ground work for this industry and though it won't happen overnight, we ask that you partake in the celebration of this new chapter. If you are with us, please, raise your glasses in toast," Everyone around me raises their glass of champagne, the bubbles reflecting the lights and smiles. Max grins to Jack, raising his own glass skyward, "to Creal Arts."

•••

A/N:
Only one more chapter and then the epilogue!!!!

On the side is Ashton Irwin as Max Creal

Love always,
Samantha  XX