Becoming Lighter Than Air

Jack quickly takes control of the kiss, pulling me onto his lap so that we can be closer. His strong hands grip my thighs as his lips begin leaving trails down my neck, weakening my entire body. I let my fingers run through his hair as he pulls back, looking at me with parted lips and wide eyes, fully lost but also found.

"Sweetness?" His voice is thick, as if half of it became caught in his throat on the way out.

"Jack?" my voice matches his, only half there.

He moves his hands to my waist, where some of my skin is exposed and his thumbs begin tracing circles there, sending tingles through my entire body. "Were you upset when my father interrupted... us? The other night?"

I close my eyes and hold onto this moment, not answering him. I hold onto it because in this moment, I let my walls come tumbling down. I let the golden light pour over me and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I am in love with this man. Jack isn't perfect, but neither am I. We're both messes that don't know what the hell is going on, but one thing we do know - maybe, the only thing we know - is that we are hopelessly, madly in love with each other.

I don't focus on the lies I've told, the ones I've lived. I don't think about where we're supposed to be or what we're supposed to be doing. I only focus on the love I feel for Jack, the love I know is real and never-ending.

The love in this moment – a moment I can hold onto and not lose.

"Jack?" I press my forehead against his and breathe him in, savoring his now-familiar scent.

He kisses my lips gently, as if they are delicate and on the verge of breaking beneath his touch. His hands cradle my face, holding me and making me steady, making us liquid gold. "Sweetness?"

"I love you, Jack." My eyes flicker open to see him right in front of me, a smile spreading across his unbelievably handsome features.

Jack laughs, not in a disbelieving way, but in a completely thrilled way. And rightly so; love is a thrilling thing to be in. He moves one of his hands to cradle my neck and presses another kiss on my lips, this one more bold than the last.

"I love you, Macey."

And when we kiss again, there is nothing gentle about it, only boldness. We become lighter than air, carried away on the wind and taken to where we can live out our dreams  and never have to say goodbye.

***

Morning light filters across my face and I feel the soft duvet brush against the bare skin of my legs. I stretch my limbs, savoring the sleep that still rests heavy on me, holding a daze upon me. My fingertips graze someone's skin and suddenly, the daze is lifted and I realize I'm in the pent house's bedroom.

I'm still here, with Jack.

I turn my head to see Jack still asleep. His bare chest rising and falling, half covered by the duvet. I look over past him and squint at the clock on the nightstand to see it's already ten in the morning.

I let out a sigh, a smile dancing across my lips. It all happened – it wasn't a dream.

Shit.

It's ten o'clock in the morning. On Monday.

We never made it home last night, which means we missed the meeting where we got our assignments and we're late to work. We must be in serious trouble.

I gently wake Jack up, hating that I'm ruining this moment. It shouldn't have to end this way. He stirs and his eyes open, a wicked smile in place as soon as he sees me. My cheeks flush at the sight, as he's clearly remembering the night before.