The Eighth Intern

The food is divine and thoughts of worry leave my mind as I eat all five courses of the meal. Tom and Lola distract me with their ceaseless comments that make me laugh to no end. Tom strangely reminds me of Gemma and it gives me a piece of home I can hold onto. I already miss them terribly and yet, I'm thrilled and on the verge of overwhelming euphoria.

My mind is brought back to the slight agitation from the beginning of the meal, when, Jeremiah excuses himself after finishing his desert. Aria casts a worried glance after his disappearing figure before turning back to the table, a smile on her well-practiced expression of being at-ease among turmoil.

I make a rash decision.

I'm here to learn the ins and outs of this place and I'm determined to keep my ear to the ground. I excuse myself and pretend I need the restroom. I'm going to find out what's going on.

When I leave the dining room I listen for voices. It doesn't take long before I hear Jeremiah's voice coming from the entry way that we had just congregated in before the meal. I edge closer and listen to what he's saying.

"Where the bloody hell were you?! We've already eaten the entire meal and I was about to come after you, but your mother -"

Jeremiah's voice is cut off by another accented voice, though this one's laid back and snarky. "Well, I'm here now, so calm down."

Silence coats the room thickly and I wonder who the other side of this heated conversation is. Then, I hear Jeremiah's voice dangerously low. "Go get dressed properly and come straight to the dining room. I swear, if you're not there in ten minutes, I'll -"

"You'll what? Send me away? I'll gladly go."

I take that as my cue to leave and I quickly make my way back to the dining room. No one notices me as I sit down, a look of confusion etched into my face. At least, I think no one notices me, but as I take another bite of my chocolate mousse I look over to see Aria watching me, her practiced smile faltering and her eyes narrowed in concern.

I hold her gaze a moment and she continues to watch me until finally she gives a small nod of approval and I'm left letting go of a breath I didn't know I'd been holding.

***

As I'm taking my last bite of mousse, Jeremiah loses it. He bangs his fist on the table causing the china to rattle. Every eye turns to him and he lets out a breath before asking, "Has anyone seen the eighth intern today?"

All of us shake our heads and cast weary glances in his direction. Then, our heads turn to the doors as they bang open and hit the walls next to them. In walks, of all the people in the world, Jack. Jack from the plane.

I feel my jaw slacken as he cockily strides through the room, ignoring everyone at the table. He slides into the seat next to me and lounges in it comfortably, still not looking at me or anyone else in the room. I turn my gaze to Jeremiah who is seething with anger.

Then I look back to Jack who still hasn't noticed me, but is now looking at his father. He flicks a lock of his brown hair out of his eyes and motions to a server nearby. "Can you get me some of the mousse?"

The server scuttles away to retrieve some and as he does so Jack finally turns his gaze towards me. Surprise fills his eyes, but besides that his face gives away no emotion. Then, he tilts his head at me, allowing pleasant surprise fill his features. He winks at me and drops his voice to a whisper, "Well, well, imagine finding you here."

I roll my eyes and snap back before I can stop myself. "Where the hell is my luggage, Jack?"

Jack laughs, his eyes sparkling. "Sweetness, don't get worked up."