Drowning Worries In Laughter

"And now, the Class Valedictorian will give her speech... Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Macey Littlefield!"

I walk across the stage to the podium, my nude-colored high heels clacking on the stage as the audience applauds. I take a moment to make eye contact with a handful of people, both in my class and the in the audience: my parents, Gemma and Olive, the guys, my siblings, Olive's mom and Gemma's parents. I look to the people that mean the most to me. The people I'll be leaving behind.

"Esteemed Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, my Fellow Classmates, I come to you today in an attempt..." I trail off, losing focus as I look back to Gemma and then Olive... These words I've written aren't the words I need to share with these people. Sure I can go on spouting my two page paper that I've worked weeks on, but in truth, it isn't what I need or want to say. The words that I need to say are still in me, wanting to break free.

I start over.

"I come to you today as someone with a very big dream. My parents always told me that dreams are powerful things. They have the potential to influence a school, or a town, or a country or the world. Politicians and celebrities and parents and many more have molded this world to what it is today just by living to their potential and pursuing their dreams.

"A dream is more than an ideal - it is a pursuit. You must pursue your dream wholeheartedly or it will be put to waste. Classmates, don't let your dream be put to waste. Use your dream and use it to the best of your capabilities. Whether you're an athlete," I look at Clive, "or an artist," my eyes shift to Gemma who gives me a thumbs up, "or a writer," I look at Larkin, "or a businessman," I find Eddie, who's smiling, "or you're an aspiring doctor," I find Dean, "or maybe, you're just uncertain as to what you are." I finally search out Olive, who gives me a small wave to me. I can tell that she's putting on a brave face, but inside she'll crumble when she's home. Alone. I have to tell her.

"Dare to pursue that dream within you with all you have. We are the next generation.... And I think it's time we lived our dreams instead of just keeping them as dreams. Classmates... Don't settle for anything less than your best and don't stop dreaming."

It's a short speech, but I'm not one to drag out the point. I've said to my classmates what I needed to, now I need to tell my friends my dream that's coming true. I find my seat and I relax as the ceremony continues. I'll tell them as soon as the ceremony is over.

I refocus on the ceremony as it's time for the announcements of special awards and significant accomplishments achieved by my classmates. They call up Gemma since she won first place at the Crary Art Show and was given the scholarship for living abroad and studying art. Then they call up Mitch Levy, Dean's cousin, who is joining the military. Thirdly they call up Clive, who was signed on as a professional surfer. I yawn, after his, knowing that the ceremony will be over soon. All they have to do is pronounce us graduates.

But then, I hear Principal Ohrn calling my name and looking straight at me. I return to the podium, hearing the applause of the audience in a blurred state. Everything is numb to me as I try to process what is going on. What have I achieved? Oh...

"Macey Littlefield is the last student being recognized for a significant accomplishment during this ceremony." Principal Ohrn smiles at me.

I feel the smile on my face drop. I've only accomplished one thing worthy of being announced and that's being accepted into the summer program for the Creal Publishing Intern Program.

The program starting in one week. The one I've kept secret from my friends.

Principal Ohrn holds up an envelope. "Miss Littlefield has been accepted into Creal Publishing Internship Program, which takes place in New York City. I received a copy of the letter that Macey received in the mail and I will now read a portion of it to inform you on what this program is."

Shit. Shit. Shit. I know what that letter says.

" Macey Littlefield,

We are pleased to announce that you have been chosen as one of the eight interns for the summer program taking place in New York City for Creal Publishing. All expenses will be paid and you will be competing with your fellow interns for five full-time interning positions opening in our publishing company this fall.

"Please, give it up for Miss Littlefield and her phenomenal achievement."

As I make my way to my seat I risk a glance at Olive and Gemma. Gemma's smiling - putting a good face on. Olive... Olive's no longer trying to hide the tears that well in her eyes. Some might think the sadness is because we are graduating, and I guess, in a way it is. But I know they were egged on by my achievement.

I look away and find my eyes drifting to the sky. Blue and clear. Everything seems so possible when it's far off. You think you can walk the moon, or travel the world, or leave home for good.

When I see the sky I imagine it reminds me of how my future will hopefully be.

Endless and full of dreams.

***

After the ceremony I see Gemma coming straight for me through the crowd of people, Olive three steps behind her. I brace myself for the onslaught of badgering, complaints and tears. This should have been a happy day. And I'm afraid they'll ruin it.

Gemma beams at me, throwing me off. "Macey! Congratulations! That is big news! We are so proud of you, aren't we, O?"

Olive sniffles a little and looks to her feet, shrugging. "Yeah."

I look at Gemma who shrugs a little, her smile faltering. "Hey, let's get a picture together, yeah?"

Olive worms away from Gemma. "Maybe in a little while. I need to use the restroom to freshen up a bit."

I sigh, my face tight with frustration. "Why can't she just be happy with me?"

Gemma shakes her head. "Why didn't you tell us ahead of time? It would have prepared her... and me."

I shrug. "I guess, I was nervous of what you'd think. And afraid that Olive would be upset. Which she is."

Gemma closes her eyes. "She'll be alright. I know she will be. Here she comes now."

I look over my shoulder and sure enough, Olive is coming towards us with Clive and the other guys. She's talking to Clive while Dean and Larkin laugh at something with Eddie. My friends. My beautiful friends.

When they reach us the guys congratulate me and I thank them, trying to see if Olive is really okay or "okay". I know she's not, but she looks fine. She looks up at me and smiles. "Mace, can I talk to you for a moment?"

I nod and we pull away from the group. Olive sighs and then reaches out, hugging me. "I'm sorry I was crying... it's just a lot, you know?"

I nod, pulling away from her and looking into her clear eyes. "Yeah, I know, O. I'm sorry I didn't tell you ahead of time. I didn't know they would be announcing it, otherwise I would have warned you."She shakes her head. "It's okay... and I am proud of you. I don't want to ruin this day for either of us."

I hug her again and then we head back to the group. Our parents join us and we get some obligatory pictures before sneaking away from the chaos and retreating to Gemma's house. We fill up bowls with peach rings and chocolate and goldfish and loads of other junk foods.

Clive holds up a glass of chocolate milk, his eyes sparkly and his smile showing off his pearly whites. "A toast, to the Dreamers."

Everyone echoes him, laughing as we  clink our glasses and down our cups of chocolate milk.

And then, as friends often do, we share our dreams and drown our worries with laughter.

•••

A/N:

Please comment what you think and vote if you liked it! I really appreciate you guys.

On the side is a video of Zoella because she's a awesome YouTuber and you should watch her and subscribe to her.

Love always, Samantha <3