On Fire

(A/N: this chapter contains underage drinking which I do not advocate)

As we sit on the train in silence I think about what my aunt said. Am I really happy when it comes to being in the publishing business? I've always been able to edit and write papers properly so I just automatically assumed I would find success in a corporate version of that. And so I followed it up, taking on the Creal Internship Program. I honestly thought I could succeed in this business but now I can't help but wonder if there's been one too many stumbling blocks in my path?

The lies and the guilt and the pressure – and it's only been two weeks – is almost too much to take.

And then, Jack. He wants – he dreams – to be an architect and yet, I think I'm ruining that dream by forcing my own upon him. I don't want to spin him a lie – tell him he needs my dream when he clearly doesn't. He deserves to be happy, designing buildings and traveling the world to see it as he wants. He deserves to find someone who doesn't lie to him and trick him and then leave him.

"Well, where to now?" Jack asks, bringing me out of my stupor of thought.

I shake my head, clearing my mind. "I... Shouldn't we meet back up with the other interns?"

"Nah, I think we would have more fun if we just did our own thing. I know a place we can go to." Jack smiles, looking out the window of the train car. I catch his eyes in the reflection and when he winks at me, I realize that all he sees of me is a reflection of who I really want to be. He sees a miniscule fragment of good in me and the shadows of lies and guilt will soon take over that fragment.

And then he'll be gone.
Leaving me, for his true dreams.

***

Jack has brought me to a club. Why am I not surprised?

It isn't a club that Lola or Tom or I or any of the interns would ordinarily be allowed into – and not just because we're underage. We would never be able to afford this place. It is a club for the Wealthy - with a capital W. Everywhere I look I see money in some form or another. Girls drip in jewels and designer clothes. Men smoke expensive cigars and down shots of liquid gold. Music thrums through the dark room as neon lights flash around us.

I find myself more out of place than ever before – dressed in my seemingly simpleton clothes and modest makeup when girls around me are decked out, dressed in money. I follow Jack, knowing that he's my only tie to this world of wealth. If I'm not found with him I'll surely be kicked out on the grounds that I simply don't belong.

Jack leads me to the long bar, made of a thick glass which catches the neon lights and gives off a slight glow. Once we've stopped Jack pulls out his phone, checking something while I continue to feel more out of place. He looks at me, pocketing the phone.

"Sweetness," he shouts over the music, leaning close, "I'll be right back."

I try to question him, but he presses a kiss to my cheek and disappears among the crowd of his people. He's lost among them, blending in with his natural charisma, his natural charm and his natural beauty.

I sit on the stool next to me and lean on the bar, startled when the man behind it looks at me, asking me what I want to drink. I look at him, wondering if he can tell I'm underage.

"I'll have a coke, please."

He arches a bushy eyebrow. "A coke?"

"Never mind the lovely lady, Al. Give her my usual." A strong voice comes from behind me, rising over the music. I turn to see a handsome man, probably around Jack's age, maybe older, come up the bar and stand next to me. His eyes are dark in the neon lights and his hair is the same. He smiles at me, casting his pearly whites at me in a straight line of attractiveness.

I smile back, a blush creeping up my neck, but unable to say anything. The bar man - Al - slides me a drink of something that appears a golden color. I momentary have a flash of Jack – in his golden light. But I suppress it and focus on the tall, dark and handsome man standing beside me, smiling at me in a flirty way.

I wrap my hand around the drink, bringing it to my lips and tipping the contents back. It burns unlike any other alcohol I've ever tasted, but I enjoy it – knowing I deserve to burn because of the things I've done. The man smiles at me, no dimples appearing.

"Enjoy that?" He asks as I slide the glass back to Al.

I nod. "What's your name?" I ask, a new confidence burning within me from the strong drink now coursing through my veins.

"My name's Gavin White. What's yours?" He lays a hand on my thigh, warm against my bare flesh – a brand on my skin.

I take a shuddering breath in. "Macey Littlefield."

Al slides me another drink as Gavin beckons him to do so. I down it so I can feel the burn within me yet again. It stings and it makes me think things might be alright if I can stay in this state of blurriness. Gavin leans close to me, his lips warm against my ear as he murmurs, "Dance with me?"

I let him lead me to the floor and I begin to dance, hoping to let the burn fill my entire body.

***

Sweat and lust surround me on the dance floor as I lose track of who I am. All I know is that I feel good, dancing next to Gavin, forgetting what I'm meant to do or be. I let the music course through me, turning the alcohol from a burn to a flame which catches me on fire more than ever before.

Suddenly, a hand snakes along my exposed waist, trailing a thin line of coolness. I turn and look up to find two familiar eyes – Jack's eyes, staring back at me.

"Sweetness?" His voice is panic filled and completely sober.

"Dance with me, Jack." I pull him close to me, but he stops himself, pulling me from the dance floor and off to a less crowded area.

"Macey, you scared me half to death. I've been looking for you everywhere!" His shoulders are tense and I run my hands over his chest, trying to ease the tense feeling out of him.

"Jack, loosen up and have a drink. Have a good time." I stand on tiptoe, pressing a kiss to his cheek.