A Beautiful Memory

Start from the beginning

Lola chatters about her nerves for the party, never once stopping to tell me what I'm doing here in this room. She stops talking when three young ladies enter the room, smiling at us. Lola motions them over. "Macey, this is Genevieve, Maddi and Emilie."

Genevieve smiles. "You can just call me Gen. It's a pleasure to meet you – Jack's spoken of you many times." I'm sure my cheeks are bright red, but Gen doesn't say anything about them. "Now, let's get started – we have lots to accomplish and little time."

She guides me to a chair in the "bathroom" area with a sink positioned behind it. I sit in it and she explains what's happening. "I'm going to be doing your hair and makeup – Em is dyeing Lola's hair and doing her makeup and Maddi is assisting the both of us."

I frown apologetically. "I didn't bring a dress..." I trail off, my cheeks blushing with embarrassment.

Gen smiles and her eyes meet mine in the mirror which is positioned in front of me. "Don't worry, hon. We've taken care of it. Your job is to just relax and have fun with the girls."

And I do just that. Gen gets to work, washing my hair which feels like a scalp massage. It feels wonderful to just relax and let her take care of everything. I can feel myself getting excited for tonight – for the possibilities that this event will create for so many and for the chance I'll get to meet Max and spend time with Jack.

Gen wraps my hair in a towel and then has me keep my face relaxed as she begins doing my makeup. I become entirely relaxed as her brushes paint my face into a masterpiece with her expert touch. I can tell by the way Gen treats me that this is her passion, her gift – just as writing is mine and architecture is Jack's.

About half an hour later Gen starts on my hair, but tells me to keep my eyes closed. "I want you to see the finished product, but nothing before."

I smile amusedly and she starts on my hair again, gently taking care of it and setting it into curls that I feel cascade down on my shoulders.

Through the entire process we play music and have girl time. I let the entire afternoon take over my senses, reminding me how much fun it can be to be girly. Makeup, music, hair and gossip – it's all there and it's all so much fun. I realize how much I miss doing this kind of thing with Olive and forcing Gemma to join us.

Finally, Gen helps me stand up and then leads me into what she calls the Wonder Closet. She chatters as she does so, making sure I keep my eyes closed all the while. "Every outfit in this room has been designed by Maddi, Em, or me. And then we've made them by hand. It hasn't been easy, but now that Jack and Max found us – it's all worth it." She lets go of my arms which she's been guiding me by. "I just have to retrieve it from the other side of the room, but I'm still here."

I nod, knowing she can see me even though I don't see her. "Do you mind if I ask you how old you are, Gen?"

She laughs and it's a light, melodious sound. "Not at all, hon. I'm twenty eight, I'm married happily with a little daughter and I'm prepared to do anything for my art to succeed."

I love the passion in her voice – almost as if it's palpable and right before me in a physical form. "What about the other girls?"

"Em is actually my sister-in-law and she and I went to beauty school together, where this dream developed. She introduced me to Matthew, my husband. And Maddi is actually younger than us. She's nineteen and she found us, asking to intern and now she works with us. Although she's still learning, she's brilliant at what she does."

"That's so amazing that you've been able to accomplish all of that." I tell her as I hear her come back towards me.

"Thank you, hon... Alright! Here's your dress. I made it myself with only a few requests from Jack. I may need to make some quick adjustments – I didn't have your specific measurements."