Chapter 6: What If You Should Decide, That You Don't Want Me There By Your Side?

Song Of The Chapter:  What If, Coldplay

Emmy

As we ran, presumably to Violet Hill again, I released Brendon's hand. This was the first step to his happiness, and I needed to take it. I watched as they continued to run, not noticing my disappearance. I ran between houses and buildings, attempting to find a safe haven. I settled on my apartment.

I am aware of the dumbness of the situation, but, I knew it would be the first place Marina would look, the second place would be Violet Hill. I couldn't let her get to my friends again, this was my war to fight, and I needed to take it so my friends wouldn't have to.

I sat down on the bed that I shared with Brendon, and silently cried. I didn't want to die. I would never get to have my kids with Brendon. I would never be able to teach like I've always wanted to, instead I'd be sent to an early grave.

They say only the good die young, but I sat and pondered wether that was the truth or not. I never considered myself a good person, but Brendon was always reassuring me that I was.

It's not that I thought I was a liar, or a cheater, or a sinner in general really. I just never thought of myself as a good person. I considered myself annoying and selfish, and I always felt as if I lacked self-control.

Brendon always told me that none of that was true, and made sure that, when I was around him I didn't believe any of that. I don't know how he did it, but it worked. I didn't feel as bad when I was with him. That's why I was left pondering here on a bed that we shared for probably the last time last night.

I ceased trying to make the tears stop, and moved over, towards our apartments landline. I dialled the my parents' number, and waited for them to pick up.

"Hey Em, how are you? Is there something wrong?" My mother asked, as she picked up the phone. My parents didn't live here, in America, they moved back to Canada once Brendon and I got the apartment.

"Mom," I began, in my calmest voice. "Today is the annual purge, I don't know if I'll be alive tomorrow, and I'd like you to know," the tears began to freely stream down my face once again, a sob ripped it's way out of my throat. "I love you." I finished, the sobs continuing.

I heard her sobs begin as well on the other line, as well as sobs coming from my father. I didn't want to hang up right away, so I awaited their response.

"Why couldn't she move back with us?" I hear my mom loudly sob.

My dad was more calm and collected, responding to what I had said. "We love you more than we could have ever shown you and more than you will ever know Emmy. When you were born, that was the happiest day of our lives, and there was nothing like growing up with and raising you." He told me, his voice shaky.

I hung up the phone, not capable of making out any more words. It had been at least 2 hours since I had ran here, and I needed to make sure everybody was alright. I knew that I would have to head to Marina's soon, but I didn't want to.

I stayed and pondered my thoughts for another few hours. I played my favourite CDs, watched my favourite movie, and changed into my favourite clothes.

I laid all my favourite stuff out on the bed, and wrote a will. I wanted everybody to know what I thought of them and what I wanted them to have. Then, I began to walk to Marina's.

Brendon (Starts at the time that Emmy leaves)

Once we got to Violet Hill, we realised Emmy was no longer with us again.

"FUCK," I screamed out as loud as I possible could. "I SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION, FUCK" I screamed again, putting my head in my hands and my hands in my lap.

This time I didn't wait for an answer from one of our friends, I began to run. I ran and I ran and I ran, all the way to the backyard of Marina's house, then I ran all the way up to the room we had left them in. Emmy wasn't there, but all of the girls were, within seconds we were tied up again, with no Emmy in sight for hours.