Chapter Fifty

They awakened just as the sun was rising, just beginning to bathe the lands with light.

An elf that neither Nikandros nor Thea knew came over and secured them to their horses, in the same manner as Legolas. Before long, the group was riding again and news passed along the riders that reached Thea and Nikandros' ears. They were almost at Gondor. A couple more hours of riding and they would be there.

Nikandros glanced over at Thea. She caught his gaze and held it steadily. With a slight smile, she looked away and at her hands. Nikandros sighed quietly, wishing he could comfort her.

They continued riding in silence, everyone feeling as if a heavy fog had descended upon them. The air was thick and the horses seemed to notice it as well, not a single sound coming from them.

The hours went by fast to Nikandros and Thea's dismay. The group lifted their heads at the sight that loomed before them. Minas Tirith. It was magnificent to behold and all but Nikandros and Thea stared in awe. Nikandros studied the great city with sadness. Here their fate would be decided.

The group continued rising towards the city, and finally they arrived at the gate. The horses' hooves rang out on the cobblestone as they rode, curious gazes and excited mutterings following them.

When they arrived at the citadel, they were stopped by the guards.

"Identify yourself, strangers." A tall and broad-shouldered man ordered.

Legolas was riding at the front and spoke up, "I am Prince Legolas of the Woodland Realm. My father the king has sent me with something for you." He gestured to Nikandros and Thea and the guard noticed they were bound to their horses.

The guard raised an eyebrow, "And I suppose you want to bring them in to the king yourself?"

"No. I have no desire to have them in my company any longer. They have been much trouble for us. Besides, I'm sure the king will want to see them as quickly as possible. They are the two assassins that attempted to murder the prince."

Both of the guard's eyebrows raised this time, "Alright then."

Legolas nodded to Nolwen who quickly dismounted and approached Nikandros and Thea. He untied Thea's hands first and pulled her off. She bit her lip so hard that it began to bleed, her foot throbbing painfully.

Nolwen handed her off to a Gondorion guard indifferently and went over to Nikandros. Not looking at him, Nolwen untied his hands and hauled him off the horse as well. Then, he let another guard take Nikandros.

The guard, whose name was Tobias, went inside for a moment, and the sound of voices barely carried out. After a moment, Tobias returned, saying, "The King will see you now."

Thea glanced at Nikandros, fear evident in her pupils. She swallowed and stood solemnly, waiting for the guard to yank her away. The guards holding Nikandros and Thea shoved them away towards the doors, which the other guards swung open. Thea stumbled because of her foot.

"Lean on me." The younger guard who was holding her whispered. Thea nodded gratefully, and leaned on him, walking more easily as she transferred some of her weight onto the guard.

Nikandros looked up and sent a glare towards the throne before realizing who was on the throne, and his jaw dropped.

For it wasn't King Degore. It was Ulric.

Another cliffy! Man, I never get tired of these. Just...never. Also, we are getting close to the end of the story! Yes....fifty chapters in and we are almost done:/ So don't forget to spread the love by voting, commenting, or following!

Ithildae, Aris, and Evara

Writers:
Nikandros--Evara
Thea--Ithildae
Legolas--Ithildae
Ulric--Evara
Young guard--Evara
Nolwen--Ithildae
Random elf--Ithildae