Chapter Nine

The King came near to the assassins and picked up the poker which was still red hot. He called three more guards over and pointed to Nikandros, "Restrain him. And," he added to Nikandros, "if you fight I will do this instead to your friend, understand?"

Nikandros swallowed and took a deep breath. "Please." He said, in a voice completely devoid of malice, "Don't do this."

"Are you going to comply, murderer?" The King stared deep into Nikandros' eyes. Nikandros glared at the king and said nothing. "You may think I enjoy hurting you, but that is far from the truth. You come in here and try to kill my son, but refuse to say why. All I ask are simple questions." Nikandros ignored the king and focused on his own breathing.

The King nodded slightly and right away the guards neared. They grabbed Nikandros' arms and held him tightly. The King held up the glowing red metal to his face, "If either of you answers the simple questions I have asked, all your torture will end. You need not suffer." Nikandros took a deep breath. This was going to be a long day. "If you stay silent then I am forced to hurt you." The King commented. Degore stopped what he was doing from an idea, "Hmm, you seem to be able to handle the pain just fine...so maybe that is the wrong approach. I wonder how your companion would take it?" The King threatened. He motioned the guards holding Thea over. They dragged her a couple feet to him, kicking and struggling the whole way. "Now is the time to speak before something happens that cannot be undone."

Nikandros opened his eyes slightly and looked at Thea for reassurance. He noticed she was shaking slightly and looked to be going into shock. Her breathing was short and erratic, but she managed to nod to him. It was all she could do not to cry. Nikandros closed his eyes again and tried to calm himself.

The King frowned, "Fine. Have it your way. I care not." In one swift motion, he pushed the hot metal into Thea's shoulder, piercing her.

She couldn't help herself, a strangled scream was released from her mouth as the metal burned and caused an enormous amount of pain. The end was curved and when Degore pulled it out, it became stuck. He sighed and rolled his eyes before yanking it out in a single pull. Another cry echoed from Thea although it was quieter. She instantly sagged into the guards' arms, unable to support her own body weight. Nikandros heard Thea's scream and it pierced his heart. He wanted to save her from this torture but he knew he couldn't. Tears streamed down her face, unable to stop them as her breathing became shallow. Her body screamed for her to speak, but her mind knew better.

The King shook his head at their silence, "Unfortunately, I cannot let you die until you tell me the information I desire." He declared, "So if you will not speak then you will be hurt every day until you do." Degore's voice implied not anger, but honesty. "That is the law." He frowned upon seeing Nikandros' eyes shut. He drew near and grabbed the man's hair, forcing his face upward. "Open. Your. Eyes, boy." The King of Gondor commanded. Nikandros opened his eyes and glared icily into the king's eyes. "You are a coward." The King spat.

"No I am not." Nikandros said coldly, "You are."

Degore laughed lifelessly, "Me? You refuse to watch your friend be hurt because it pains you, but you don't even consider that perhaps they need you. I do not see how you think I am the coward here."

"I thought Kings were supposed to have dignity. Apparently you think a king should be a torturer." Nikandros said calmly.

"If my son will not, then I must. This is a delicate situation. Normally, I would never do this, but I don't want you to die...yet. If I let my questionnaires do it, you would be in a lot more pain. So be thankful, foolish boy." The King explained. Nikandros remained silent, glaring at Degore.

"Guards, go get Ulric. Now." The King scowled to himself at the assassins control. The guards scrambled to obey.

A few minutes later, they hurried into the room, Ulric right behind. Ulric frustratedly followed the guards into the room. "What?" He asked Degore.

"Stop sulking, Ulric. See what your absence has caused." The King waved his hand around the room to the prisoners. They looked absolutely pitiful. Blood, dirt, and grime coating practically every inch of their bodies and clothing. Thea was barely conscious and Nikandros was glaring spitefully at everyone.

"Well, this is what you wanted anyway!" Ulric glowered.

"Enough!" Degore roared, "You will stop being disrespectful to your King and father. Do you understand?" He demanded.

Ulric bit his lip and looked seriously at Degore, "What did you want me for?"

Degore ignored the question, "Do you understand me, boy?"

"I understand." Ulric said. He did understand that his father wanted him to respect him. "Now, why did you want me here?"

"I have given up on them. I want you to decide their fate. This has gone on long enough. But, I don't understand why this is so hard for you...they are murderers. The worst kind of people, Ulric." The King went back to his throne.

Ulric racked his brains for an answer. "Slavery." He answered.

Surprised, the King raised his eyebrows, "Okay. If that is what you think is best. I set you in charge of them."

Ulric nodded. "Guards," he ordered, "take them to their cells."

"Yes, sir." The captain, Fendrel, answered. Ulric gave a brisk nod in recognition and then left the room. Fendrel obeyed and the guards and him brought the assassins to their cells.

The King sighed when they had left and began tending to his other business. A few minutes later the King heard voices outside the throne room. "You can't go in there!" Degore heard one of the guards protesting.

He heard another friendly feminine voice reply, "I'm sure it will be alright." The King sighed. He knew that voice. The doors opened and the female, Xene, walked in with a big smile. "My lord! Would you mind telling me where I might find your son?" she said sweetly.

The King smothered a smile, "Hello, Lady Xene."

"Hello! Where can I find Ulric?" She asked again, still wearing her big smile.

"I don't know where that boy of mine is..." He sighed, "your guess is as good as mine." Degore sent her a tired smile.

"Forgive me. I should have known no one would know. Thank you anyway your highness." Xene sent him a sweet little smile, turned around, and walked out just as quickly as she had come.

"That is no problem." He answered.

I know I know I know...this was an uglier chapter than normal and sorry about that...but it will unfortunately still get worse for them. Anyways...like, comment, and vote please!!!!
Thanks guys!!!!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris (my other friend that hadn't joined the story until now)

Writers:
Degore: Ithildae
Ulric: Evara
Xene: Aris
Thea: Ithildae
Nikandros: Evara
Fendrel: Ithildae
Guards: Ithildae and Evara