Chapter Forty-One

When they stopped, their destination was the throne room where the Elven King rested. Legolas lowered his bow as he knew the guards in the room had weapons as well. He stepped forward and addressed his father, "Here they are, Father. We had no trouble catching her."

"I thought you would come back for him," Thranduil said contemptuously, addressing Thea.

Thea scowled, "Just let us go." She growled.

"No." Thranduil replied right away. "I still have to punish you, and I have decided to give you back to Gondor. No pleading on your part will change my mind," the King added coldly.

Nikandros gaped, "No! Please! They will torture and kill us!" He begged. Calming down slightly, and also realizing that the cruel elf King wouldn't give in, he said, "If you must do this, just turn me in. Leave my wife here or let her go."

Thea gasped, "Nikandros! I could never leave you!"

Nikandros turned towards Thea, and clasped her hands, "Thea, just stay safe. Maybe I can clear this up with the king. Ulric may even be able to put in a good word for me." He gave a hopeful smile.

Thea pulled her hands away, and shook her head, "Unbelievable. I will absolutely not let you leave without me!" She resolved, "Whatever happens to us, we will do together."

"Thea! Please!" Nikandros said urgently, "I might be able to escape." He said in such a low tone, the elves didn't hear it, and Thea just barely caught the words. "Then I can find you again and we can be together."

"Nikandros Cleric Addinell, I will not have us be separated." Thea used his full name to declare how resolved she was.

"Enough!" Thranduil said louder than usual. "I have already decided that both of you are being turned in to King Degore. You can plead with me all you want, but both of you are going. Problem solved," he said icily, indicating that there would be no further discussion about it.

Legolas entered the conversation, "I can lead the group to take them back there, Father." He offered, "When would you like us to leave?"

"You may lead the party, Legolas. I want you to take twelve other warriors with you." Thranduil replied, then speaking in elvish, he said, "You may leave in two days. If you have enough time to get ready, then try to leave tomorrow."

Legolas bowed shortly, "Yes, Adar." He turned over to Tauriel, "Tauriel, please organize twelve warriors. I plan on leaving tomorrow." Tauriel nodded and swiftly left to prepare for the journey.

He turned back to Thranduil, "Where should we keep these two until tomorrow?" He gestured to Nikandros and Thea.

"Put them in one of the smaller rooms, and put a guard or two outside of the room." Thranduil replied.

"Very well." Legolas responded. He swiftly turned around to Nikandros and Thea before motioning to two guards. They came forward and grabbed onto the two humans while Legolas led the way.

They halted before a heavy oaken door as Legolas pushed it open and stepped aside. The guards pushed Thea and Nikandros inside.

When the door was shut and locked, Thea crossed her arms and turned to Nikandros, "Why do you keep trying to separate us?" She asked seriously.

"Because I don't want you to suffer anymore!" Nikandros exclaimed, and began pacing, "I thought if they just took me they would let you go so you wouldn't have to suffer anymore." He stopped pacing and plopped down in a chair, tears starting to came. Unconsciously, he ran a hand through his unruly brown hair.

Thea softened and tucked a piece of his hair behind his ear. She lifted his chin up to look at her, "Thank you for trying to protect me." She smiled, "I love you so much, but it would hurt me worse if we were forever separated." She tried to explain.

Nikandros gave a small smile, "I love you, Thea." He said simply, and kissed her.

She gladly kissed back and wrapped her arms around him tightly. In that moment, Thea wished she could freeze time and stay there forever.

Finally, she broke the kiss and her face turned solemn, "Even though it has been rough and our end may be near, I want you to know that being your wife is the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"I have the best wife I could ever ask for." Nikandros smiled.

Thea's smile suddenly faded. She let go of Nikandros and looked down.

Instantly, Nikandros was concerned, "What's wrong?" He whispered, cuping her cheek in his hand gently.

She slowly lifted her eyes to him, "I...I don't want to die." She whispered.

Nikandros' face grew grim, "Thea, I will protect you. No matter the cost for me, I will protect you."

She visibly shook, "I-I couldn't bear it if you..." Thea couldn't finish, she just lowered her gaze once more as a single tear trailed down her face.

"Thea," Nikandros began seriously, "If there is a chance to escape, you must go. Don't stay for me. Flee to Rolfe's cabin and stay there." He tried to smile hopefully, "I will try to escape and meet you there. Promise you will do that?" Nikandros asked quietly, and sincerely.

"Why do you still have hope?" She whispered, "We aren't going to escape." Nikandros sighed and ran his fingers through his unruly hair. "Besides," she continued, "I would never leave you, no matter what."

Nikandros stood up and wrapped his arms around Thea. He smiled, "It's okay. Somehow we're gonna make it through this. Together."

She openly began to sob, "No, we're not. We are going to die!"

"Shh..." Nikandros held Thea close, wishing they could be safe together.

She clung to him tightly, tears streaming down her face, "I don't want t-to go...back." She cried. Nikandros hugged her tighter and took a deep breath.

Oh man....I think I'm gonna cry. Again. Ugh...why oh why do we write things like this?? Apparently I just like to torture myself and my characters. Quite literally.

Oh well...this isn't the end. Don't forget to spread that wonderful love around by filling in that little star button!!!!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris

Writers:
Thranduil-Aris
Legolas-Ithildae
Tauriel-Evara
Thea-Ithildae
Nikandros-Evara
Random elves-Ithildae and Evara