Chapter Six

Ulric raised his bow and fired at one of the figures scaling the wall. The arrow found it's mark, and Ulric could see the figure struggle to hold his grip. He saw the other one climb down to help its wounded companion. And lastly, he saw the figures fall and heard the sickening crunch. His soldiers had rushed over, and restrained the one that was still conscious. "Bring them to a spare room. Lock them in there and...oh, search them." Ulric ordered. The guards obeyed and found many hidden daggers. Ulric frowned. These two were not ordinary warriors. He turned to Thea. "Why did you try to kill me?" He asked.

Thea glared icy daggers at Ulric. She didn't answer, but instead struggled fiercely with her detainers. Ulric sighed and looked up at the sky, "Did you not hear me?" He asked with sarcasm.

Thea decided not to speak, she didn't want them to know anything about her or Nikandros. She breathed deeply through her mask. Had it been off her face, she would have spit at the man. Thea glanced at her friend. Nikandros hadn't moved and she assumed he was unconscious. She frowned slightly. 'Well this is just a peachy first mission.' She thought negatively.

"Take off the mask." Ulric ordered Thea.

She gave up on her vow not to speak and snapped back, "How am I supposed to do that when your goons are restraining me?" She growled. Thea viciously tried to yank her arms free from the men, but they only held her tighter.

Ulric smiled, "Guards, remove her mask." The guards reached over and pulled off the mask.

Thea scowled at the cocky prince. She once again pulled for her arms to be released, but instead of them letting go, a guard grabbed her hand that had been injured by the arrow. He squeezed it tightly, pushing on the bloody hole.

Thea held it together and managed not to cry out. She clenched her teeth and looked down.

"Stop." Ulric ordered angrily.

The guard obeyed, "Yes, sir." He ground out.

Ulric rolled his eyes, "Take her to the dungeon. Take the other one into a spare room. I want to see how badly he is injured." He ordered, and turned to walk away.

Thea frowned angrily, "No! Let me stay with him." She pleaded. Instantly, Thea snapped her mouth shut, realizing she should have stayed silent.

Ulric turned and raised an eyebrow, "You two must be friends, but I don't think so." Thea fumed, the two companions were really in a big predicament.

The guards hauled Thea away and picked up a limp Nikandros. Ulric followed the men that carried Nikandros to a spare room.

When Nikandros was laying on the bed, Ulric checked for broken bones. He frowned. "A few broken ribs." He pronounced. "Call a nurse and have three guards watch him. One on the outside and two on the inside." He ordered. The guards hurried to obey their prince's orders and soon everything was in place. Ulric sighed and left to retire to his bed chamber. "So much for a good night's sleep." He grumbled to himself.

Just as he climbed back into bed, a knock sounded on the door. He groaned and got out of bed to open the door. "What is it?" He asked impatiently.

The door opened and King Degore stepped inside and shook his head, disapprovingly. "Ulric, is that the way to speak like a prince?" He said in a condescending tone.

"Oh," Ulric faltered, "I'm sorry, Father." He bowed his head in respect.

"It's alright. Now, what's this the guards told me, about someone almost killing you, my son?" Degore looked expectantly towards his son and crossed his arms.

"It was nothing. It's taken care of." Ulric assured.

"What happened?" The King demanded.

"Someone snuck in and tried to kill me." He said simply.

The king's eyes widened, "What? Who?"

"I don't know. One of them came in to kill me, and the other came when the girl whistled three times." Ulric explained.

"Well are they dead? Where are they? Did you catch them?" Degore asked, concerned.

"It's taken care of, father." Ulric assured, "They are in the dungeon. Well, one of them is, the other is being tended to by a nurse for broken ribs."

"Why is he being helped?" Degore demanded, "Anyone that tries to kill a member of the royal family deserves death." He stated fiercely.

"I wanted to make sure they were guilty. I did not want to kill them if they were mostly innocent."

"Son," Degore placed a hand on his son's shoulder, "if they tried to kill you, then that is an act of treason and murder by our law. Remember, we must abide by it."

Ulric frowned, "I guess, but I was just thinking I'd deal with it tomorrow." He yawned.

"Okay then. Get some rest, but be in the throne room bright and early tomorrow." Degore smiled at his son before leaving him to rest. Ulric smiled back and then closed the door. He walked briskly to his bed and laid down. Soon, he was fast asleep.

Hi again! I hope you are enjoying the story so far!:) If so, then please vote, comment, or follow:) thanks! <3

Writers:
Thea -- Ithildae
Nikandros -- Evara
Ulric -- Evara
King Degore -- Ithildae
Guards -- Ithildae and Evara

Love,
Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )