Chapter Fourteen

Back in the throne room, King Degore fumed. He searched for a punishment for Nikandros. In his mind, his son came first. Finally, he came to a decision, "Guard! Go get the young man from the dungeons!" The guard nodded and left the room to get Nikandros.

Down in the dungeons, the guard unlocked and opened the door to Nikandros' cell with a creak.

Nikandros' head snapped up, "What do you want?" He asked sharply.

"You've been summoned. Stand up." The guard commanded.

Nikandros furrowed his brow, "Why should I?"

"Because I'm sure you don't want anymore pain," The guard motioned to Nikandros' many wounds, "am I right?" Nikandros frowned and reluctantly stood up with much difficulty. The guard unchained Nikandros' hands from the wall before leading him out.

Back at the throne room after little time, the guard forced Nikandros to his knees before the King of Gondor. Nikandros clenched his teeth to not cry out in pain.

"Do you know why you have been brought before me once again, assassin?" The King stared down at him. Nikandros glared back up, but said nothing. The King merely smirked, "Silence will earn you nothing but more pain." He waved his hand lazily in indifference, "But it matters not. I might as well explain it so your dull mind may comprehend. I do not take it lightly when someone seeks to harm me or my son, the crown prince of Gondor. You, my prisoner, have earned my anger." Nikandros felt a stab of worry in his gut. "For your insolence and foolishness, you shall receive thirty lashes. If you manage to survive that, which I highly doubt it in your condition, then you shall receive no relief and be chained back in your cell. Do you understand?" The King said with utter venom and fire.

Nikandros took a deep breath. Thirty lashes! And then to be chained back up! At least this time there was no option to talk, for he wasn't completely sure he would hold his tongue.

The King searched Nikandros' face for a sign of fear. The assassins had amazed him over and over again. Their endurance was astounding. He may have ceased asking the questions, but his curiously was not quenched. "If, after your lashes you wish for it to be ended, then you may speak. Perhaps if your tongue is loosed then I will be gracious and put you out of your misery."

'Ah.' Nikandros thought grimly. 'I must not speak.' He was determined, and his mouth settled into a determined line.

The King nodded to his guards and they grabbed Nikandros, each one holding an arm and keeping him upright between them. Another guard came forward and pulled off Nikandros' already shredded shirt. The King watched, his face devoid of emotion. The soldier that pulled off Nikandros' shirt came back over with the whip. A cruel leather that divided into five strips at the end, each with barbed wire attached to the end. Nikandros struggled to get free. Without hesitation, the guard brought the whip down upon Nikandros' back with a loud crack.

Nikandros cried out in pain from the whip. He clenched his teeth firmly, waiting for the next blow.

Smack! Blow after blow landed on his back, tearing and ripping. The guard made each one harder and more painful than the previous. Although the pain filled his mind, Nikandros refused to cry out or beg for mercy.

After ten minutes of constant pain, the guard ceased. The king nodded in agreement and studied the prisoner. "Have you had enough?" He asked flatly.

"Well, yes I have, but I'm not going to say anything." Nikandros said curtly.

Degore looked in mock pity at Nikandros, "Then I'm afraid you are not done. You see, that was only half. You still have fifteen lashes to go." Nikandros closed his eyes at the thought of more lashes.

Xene walked in and stopped short as the whip came down on Nikandros' back. She gasped when she saw the blood that streamed down his back. Without hesitation she turned and ran back out of the throne room, and kept running until she got to Ulric's room. "Ulric!" She cried. 'Please be in here, please be in here!' She thought.

Ulric opened the door with a book in his hand, "Xene!" He smiled pleasantly.

"Ulric, you have to do something about your father! He's whipping the boy prisoner!" She cried.

Ulric furrowed his brow, "Probably because he injured me." He explained.

"You need to stop him! He's insane! The boy has broken ribs that haven't healed and numerous other injuries! And still he continues to torture them!" She persisted.

"I'll try..." Ulric said slowly.

Oh boy...that was a stressful chapter...am I right? Yikes...poor Nik:/

Hello my lovelies! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris

Writers:
Thea - Ithildae
Nikandros - Evara
Degore - Ithildae
Xene - Aris
Fendrel - Ithildae
Guards - Ithildae and Evara