4

Saturday morning's are usually peaceful in town. People run errands, go on lunch dates, and participate in stress relieving activities. But if there's one person who is anything but calm right now, it's Melissa.

"What the hell did you do?" Melissa ask harshly, slamming her hand on the table.

"What do you mean?" Xander ask confused. He had just gotten in from a run, only to be immediately confronted by his enraged sister.

"Isabella." She simply states her name and Xander sighs looking away from her eyes.

"Ok what about her?"

She scoffs at her brother. "She went to bed in a good mood and this morning she wasn't the same. Not only did she look like she hadn't gotten any sleep but she looked genuinely hurt." Xander's wolf cries out at what he hears. Especially knowing Xander is the cause of this makes him feel like shit, for lack of a better word.

"Why do you think I caused it?"

Melissa just lets out a breath and rolls her eyes. "Cut the crap, Xander. You don't think I know she's your mate?" Xander doesn't have time to respond as his sister continues her rant. "I could see it in her eyes. It's the same emotionless feeling mom had when her and dad were going through stuff that time last year. The difference between them and you is that dad couldn't go more than a day knowing he hurt mom, but you seem to be enjoying yourself on this lovely Saturday morning." The bitterness and sarcasm are so evident in his sister's voice, it hits him with a punch.

Xander shakes his head. "I did what's best."

Melissa laughs dryly. "You're ridiculous! You know for an Alpha, you really are pathetic." No one in their right mind would speak to their Alpha like this, but Melissa has never cared about his position when it came to putting him in his place. "The Moon Goddess gives you this beautiful, caring, and amazing girl as a mate, and you had the nerve to basically reject her? You don't think she's already confused enough, having such strong feelings for someone she barely knows? Damnit Xander, you know this isn't gonna work. But have fun making both your lives miserable." And before Xander can respond, she leaves him alone to think about what he had done.

But Xander doesn't need to think about it even more. His morning run wasn't one of calm, relaxing leisure. He was blowing off steam. His wolf cried out in anger at him for doing such a thing to his mate. When he awoke from the minutes he slept, his wolf urged him to shift, so he did. He ran in anger. He's mad at himself for letting someone like Isabella go, but he's doing what's best for her. She deserves someone who she knows will be safe. Someone who can guarantee that he will come home to her. Someone who doesn't kill like it's second nature. His pack can be a target for enemies and he never wants to put her in harms away. He's not going to take that risk.

                                 ••

Avoidance has become Xander's and Isabella's main priority in school on Monday. The mates want to be together but at the same time, they don't want to see each other at all.

Isabella gathers her books out of her locker, getting ready for next period. She moves a little faster than normally, trying to get to the safety of her classroom before she can accidentally run into Xander. The quickness in her actions causes her to drop her books. She rolls her eyes and squats down to pick them up. When someone bends down to help her pick them up, her heart skips a beat. She's only disappointed to look up and see someone she's never seen.

"Here you go." A guy says as he hands her her textbook.

"Thanks." She whispers and lightly smiles at him. She turns to walk away but the continues conversation.