Chapter 8- Seperated

There's bursts of gun fire that would follow the occasional scream, as that person's life was cut short by the pursuing enemy.

That's all Isaac's been hearing this past half hour.

It's began getting dark by the time he found refuge under a fallen tree, which will easily conceal him from the the pursing Japanese that have been after him since the river battle.

He's been too terrified to move, and adding to that. He was forced to watch someone die right in front of him while he stood by and did nothing, too afraid to move.

It was outside this log that this lad along with Isaac were retreating and they ended up falling from the slight drop. As they fell into the muddy jungle floor beneath them, and seeing there was a fallen tree in front of him.

Isaac quickly sized the opportunity to crawl under it and hide since the attacking Samurai were so close behind them.

That was when the marine strikes and Isaac was too scared to help out.

He watched on in horror as that young Aussie lad lost the grapple fight and he got stabbed through the windpipes by the sword.

So Isaac just laid where he was, wide eyed and shaken to the bone for the half hour, listening to the sound of distant skirmishes. Including the sickening sound of blood gurgling for a few minutes before there was the inevitable silence consuming the surrounding area.

After another 20 minutes have passed, Isaac slowly crawled out from underneath the tree trunk, trembling from the shock and fear of what he just witnessed not too long ago.

He didn't have time to even stand up before a battle cry sounded behind him and the marine charged forward, sword raised and ready to strike.

Quickly with adrenaline kicking in, Isaac rolled onto his side and swung around so that when he'd be in a crouching position, he would be facing his attacker.

The marine swung his sword in a sideways slash, expecting Isaac to be a easy kill like the other young Australian militiamen here.

But with Isaac, that wasn't going to happen.

He ducked his head as the sword narrowly missed the top of his head, and not waisting any time for the marine to bring his sword back around.

Isaac lunged forward and he tackled the marine, body slamming into him so that his upper body would crash into the log that had provided Isaac shelter.

To Isaac's relief, the impact knocked the wind out of his attacker's lungs, giving him a chance to act while he's recovering.

Closing his fist, Isaac draws back his arm and he sends a powerful punch into the mans forehead.  As his head snapped back from the punch, Isaac attacked the man's hand to force his release on the swords hilt.

Grabbing hold of the the katana, the marine's eyesight finally stopped spinning before the last thing he saw was the sight of his own sword being thrusted into his chest.

The marine drew a sharp breath in from the burning pain and he began to gag due to the blood rushing into his lungs.

Withdrawing the sword, Isaac watched on as the marine convulsed violently from his body shutting down.

Breathing heavily from exhaustion due to the demand of the grapple fight and the pumping adrenaline, Isaac catches his breath while leaning back against one of the jungle trees here.

Isaac felt a bit better, it was the same man that had stabbed the Australian lad in front of him.

Listening to the marine breathe in his last bit of air before the final exhale, Isaac broke down into tears.