Chapter 7 - River crossing

Fagume creek, following the battle of Isurava, September 6th 1942

"Alright everyone, we're being ordered up the trail to hold a strategic river crossing... We can't let the crossing fall into enemy hands. Our orders are simple, hold the river crossing as long as humanly possible, inflict massive casualties on the enemy, and if we must retreat, you're going to haul ass up that hill that's a good mile or two from here. That's Brigade hill, any questions?" Blake says while he addresses his Company about the new orders that had came down from the top.

Looking around at everyone and seeing that there isn't anything, he lets the information sink in for another couple of seconds before he finally gives them the marching order.

Half an hour later passes by in the Company's hike through the trail to reach their objective of the Fagume creek.

Then without any further hesitation, Blake orders them to begin digging their infantry fighting positions along the river here.

This part of the River is the only place that's shallow and calm enough for someone abled to cross at stomach deep water. Making this part of the river defense the most valuable piece that could bottle neck enemy troops.

After the preparations of adding cover to the front of their drugged out foxholes, Company A settles in a hour later and they prepare for the long day ahead of them.

Sitting down and getting comfortable, Isaac sighs a little bit as he lays the Thompson to rest on his lap. Then, he leans his back against the dirt wall as he glances out into the jungle on the other side of the creek.

A lot of the lads here are armed with the British standard rifle, while there's a few that have Bren's set up as the company lmg  teams. Then you got Isaac's class he has chosen, that being a support submachine gunner with his American Thompson that he and several others have as well.

So sitting there, bored Isaac strikes up a conversation with the two other Aussie's that share this fighting position with him. They keep things at a low whisper as they talk about home and how they really miss being away from their loved ones.

For the rest of the day, they sat there in silence. Waiting for something to happen as they've became drenched in sweat from the high humidity of the jungle.

**

The following day, September 7th, 0700

Further back in another fighting position, Blake and Oscar sit with a good view of the river below them. They're currently on the higher ground since there's a slight incline that begins leading up the trail towards the hill.

"How long are we going to stay here doing nothing but sweating our asses off Captain?" Oscar had inquired in a low whisper to Blake, but unbeknownst to them. The enemy is already amongst them, lying in wait.

*

"Taichou Tatsuo, sir. Seiji's platoon has successfully crossed the river over night and as planned. They've snuck around the enemy and they'll attack the rear at 09:15." Hiroto reported to his older friend, a little proud of his Second lieutenant, who was abled to stealthily cross the river with his platoon and set up for a rear attack.

Tatsuo, who was sitting criss crossed with his sword resting in his lap opened up his eyes and quickly took everything in.

"Alright, enough resting everyone, start moving towards the river and remember. Move slow so you can blend in with your surroundings, we must break through at the river." Tatsuo says watching the jungle come alive with moving vegetation that quickly take the shape of men.

Tatsuo then carefully stands up as he secures his sword's scabbard to his hip before he takes his time in stepping forward, leading the men forward.