Chapter 5 - Casting Off

The following few days were pure hell on those who were out of shape, or for anyone who lacked in upper body strength.

It was those people that the Drill Sergeants singled out and focused on the most, screaming and yelling for them to do their push-ups and if they couldn't. Then they'd send you and your buddy that you paired up with for a four mile run up hill.

Then finally, the 10th rolled by and the other 500 came into camp and got set up in their barracks, that didn't stop them from physically training the other recruits.

Isaac's courses involved basic commands, like your faces, shoulder, port, ground, parade arms, and other necessary need to know things for basic soldiering. Then that followed proper cleaning and disassembly of the weapon that was given to you on your first night here, and once you got it down, they'd blind fold you for further practice.

Involving their physical training, it was heavy and painful with hundreds of push-ups and four to six mile runs within a day. Then by the time lunch came, Isaac was taught how to catch, skin, gut, and cook the animal that was caught. Or in other words, basic survival training that required him to catch and cook his own meal.

After lunch, Isaac would be separated from his platoon to go join the other future NCOS to learn from the Drill officers about leadership, map plotting and reading, navigation, advanced formation drills, and the like that is needed for any future NCO to know.

That is what Isaac, Oscar, and Sue all must do for their daily routine with miles of cardio training, and the rigorous strength training.

As the days turned into weeks, and the weeks turned into months, Isaac and Oscar began filling out their uniforms more and more as their shoulders became more broader. After all their bodies have became toned and muscular from the months of physical activity that was put on their body.

With the last few days of their training at Camp Darley drawing near, Nigel, along with the senior Captain and Lieutenants have been watching the future NCO recruits under their eyes like hawks.

They've weeded out those not fit for the position and have promoted those from Lance Sergeant (The lowest ranking Sergeant in the Ozzie army) to platoon Sergeant, and Isaac was one of those to be promoted up from the lowly Lance Sergeant squad leader. To the more goal worthy rank and respected rank of Platoon Sergeant.

Plus, he's been in leadership course training since October 10th of 1941, and following the months into January 2nd, 1942.

In the end of those final few days, he'll have earned and secured his spot as Sergeant and he will have passed his pre-Noncommissioned officer training. As he's passed his final live fire training course, since he successfully led, his squad and found then secured the red ribbon in a tree in the marsh that'd simulate the jungle.

From there, he held out for a hour in a simulated firefight with blank rounds being shot between squads in an attempt to capture that ribbon.

It was a overall success on Isaacs part in the defense of the ribbon.

**

January 19th, 1942

Sydney harbor, wharf 5

It's reaching 1 pm and the warm clear skies over Sydney harbor has an inviting feeling to the hundreds and hundreds of Aussies here that have came here to wave and say their goodbyes to the men marching off to war.

The 39th battalion's thousand man strong fighting men, have been separated into two company's consisting of 500 men each.

They're marching in a 5 abreast, 100 man deep marching column with the Captains leading them down the street to the wharfs, and as they walk. The cheers and encouraging words that are being shouted down to them from the streets can be heard for miles while they march down the sloped road leading to the loading docks and the wharf.