twelve

for the next week, luke joined us at school. he and i would talk in the classes we had together and it became a daily thing. we would meet at our lockers, join joey and jonah in the quad, then all walk to gym together.

it was a week after my birthday. friday, february 11th. 3 days before valentine's day. everyone around me was starting to get loved up. my parents, my family, the two gays that i despised. i was completely irritated by the whole thought of valentines day.

because you are single and bitter.

luke and i started to facetime from our laptops every night. i really do mean every night. we would usually only stay on until 10 max, unless it was a weekend. my family never thought much of it. they didn't push to ask who i was always on facetime with because they didn't suspect it to be luke.

it was friday morning. my eyes were tired and so was the rest of me. luke and i had accidentally stayed up on facetime til almost 1:30 am. i was leaning my chin on my hand and eating my cereal, trying not to dunk my head in the bowl.

my dad was across from me, drinking coffee and eating his cereal, when he looked up at me.

"you okay?"

i looked up. "what? yeah, just a bit sleepy today."

"well, sweetie did you stay up too late?" mom sat at the end, between dad and i.

"um, yeah. a lot of homework." i lied.

i hated lying, but as soon as they knew i was talking to luke and that was the reason i went to bed late, they would flip.

well dad would, at least.

i was wearing some ripped black jeans, a fitted black and white baseball tee, and my hair was a hot mess. i brought along a pair of sunglasses to hide my red eyes.

i felt hungover.

my parents dropped me off at school and i lazily said bye, sticking my glasses on, and putting my messenger bag over my shoulder.

you look really gay today. thanks, i know.

i went to my locker and opened it slowly. i didn't really have anything to put in there, just wanted to wait for luke. we never agreed to always meet at our lockers, it just happened. i didn't want to break tradition just because i was tired.

i leant my head on the cool metal and tried not to groan at my tired body, not fully awake.

"good morning, sunshine." someone whispered in my ear, chuckling.

i spun around, hitting my back to the lockers, and putting my hand on my chest.

there is luke, laughing his ass off and holding two coffee cups.

"fuck, lucas. don't do that." i smacked his arm and pulled my glasses off, blinking at the light change.

he smirked and leant his shoulder on the lockers.

"i thought you were asleep."

"i wasn't. m'just a little tired." i mumbled, closing my locker.

"i figured you would be. so, luke to the rescue." he smiled, holding out one of the coffee cups that had his name on it.

i raised an eyebrow at him and carefully took the warm cup.

"you bought my coffee?" i asked, a small smile coming on my lips.

he nodded, taking a drink of his own.

"i had a feeling you would feel drained after staying up til 1, so i thought it was the least i could do for robbing you from your precious sleep." he nudged me off my locker, urging us to head to the quad.