eleven

"how was it, love?"

"DID HE KISS YOU?"

"IS RUKE REAL?"

i scoffed and turned me head. "ok, what? what the hell is 'ruke'?"

"oh, its you and luke." my mom giggled, pulling my backpack off and throwing it on the floor.

"i don't want to discuss it, but let's just say, i've made a really good new friend." as i said that i stared straight at my visibly uncomfortable father.

"does he like you?" maianh pulled me by my other arm.

"he came out as gay to me."

"HE WHAT?!"

i looked up to see jonah and joey sitting on my couch, now standing up to hold each other and jump around.

"hey guys!" i laughed at their stupidity.

"tell us about it?" mom suggested.

we were sitting at the table. we started eating a delicious lasagna ,with salad and bread, while i told a short version of what luke told me.

"so, he looked so nervous and scared. he said that he'd just came out to his family last week and later explained that meeting me - and you know, seeing how proud and open i am with being gay, that it helped him realize there is nothing wrong with him being gay." i smiled to myself, because luke was a sweet idiot.

"but, you aren't together?" joey groaned at me.

"no, stop it. we are friends."

"but, my ship." jonah pouted, leaning his head on the table.

i coughed. "yes, we all see how much of a hot piece of shit luke is, but for now, friends."

"for now?" dad groaned.

"yes dad, please don't think about it too much. now i want some fucking ice cream cake, please."

dad, ashton, and calum collected everyone's plates as mom got my cake out of the freezer and added my big '16' candle on it.

my cake was chocolate with cold stone birthday cake ice cream in side it, topped with whipped cream frosting.

i bet i was drooling on the table.

everyone sat back down as mom lit the cake and everyone started to sing.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR RYAN. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU." they yelled, dad having his phone camera in my face, video taping the whole performance.

i should be used to that, he does it every year.

mom brought the cake in front of me and sat it down as i closed my eyes and made a wish. they all clapped and hollered and i got to cut the cake for everyone. i slid pieces down to everyone, before i cut one for myself.

everyone sat around, laughing, and chatting away. my parents kept looking at each other and back at me with a fond smile. i felt a surge or pride and happiness because i knew that stare.

that was the stare they gave one another when they were silently telling the other they loved them and were proud of what they have done.

me being the result of it.

i knew my parents had it rough. having a child when you're 16 and 17 is no easy cake walk. getting married at 19 and 20 was interesting too.

i remember being 3, 13 years ago. my grandpa walking his daughter down the isle, taking me from my dad, and setting me in the arms of my grandmother.