Chapter 12: The Search

Her white fur was covered with blood and her tail had the end missing. One of her ears had a chunk bitten out of it and she had bite and claw marks all over her body. I rushed over to her side and kneeled down next to her. I morphed so I could understand her. She whimpered, telling me how a wolf had come in and tried to take Gem, she tried to stop him but he attacked her and was much stronger. He was a teenage boy, she whined, he was tall and had black hair, much like Toby.

I heard the growl escape my mouth, it was that retched boy from the wild pack. She didn't do anything! Suddenly Mrs Marleen started to cough, blood spilt from her lips. I whimpered knowing what was happening. She was dying and was nothing I could do. I lay with her and started to cry. She told me it was an honour to see me grow up and be best friends with her daughter. She asked me to tell her family she loved, and she died for a good cause. He eyes closed and her giant wolf went limp. I howled with rage and sorrow. It had begun. I would do whatever it took to avenge Mrs Marleen. But first I had to find Gem. I called my dad and told him what had happened. He said he would be home in a few hours. The war would start before then so I had to hold them back. But my main priority was Gem. I had to find her, I was not going to let my nightmares become realities. I called for the pack and they were all round at my house in seconds. I explained what had happened and before we could do anything, we had to bury Mrs Marleen. I went to the wolf cemetery we had that was at the western borders, Toby and Darcy went on parole as we did. We buried her and I said the things you do before you bury someone, since I was Alpha. Then we covered up and went back to work, we didn't have time mourn right now.

We went back to my house and collected the scent of the intruder. Once we all had the scent we needed to track it to where it was. The wolf was not very smart and hadn't left any fake trails. We expected it to go back to the wild pack, but it didn't. We followed the scent for hours until we finally traced it to the eastern borders, near the cliffs. We entered a small cave that had the scent all over it. I heard movement in the darkness. I stopped and the pack gathered round. We transformed to our human forms and crept deeper into the darkness.

After what felt like forever we saw a light, and in that light were two figures. We started moving quicker. Then I saw him. He was sat laughing to himself while Gem was tied up by the wrists with chains.

"My sister will rip out your throat, you beast!" I heard her scream.

"Yeah yeah, keep telling yourself that." He said dismissively.

Then, just as we were about to transform and attack my phone rang.

"What?" I whispered

"Where are you?" Toby sounded extremely worried.

"A cave at the north east border trying to find Gem, why?"

"The wild pack is on its way, heading for a wolf called Jackson."

"Oh no! We are going to be trapped! And my dad won't be home for another hour!" I whispered angrily.

"We will follow them and if you hear us, they are coming." He put down the phone.

I guessed the pack were after Gem too, so we had limited time save her. I told the pack what was happening and we made a game plan. The pack wouldn't be here for another hour so we had awhile until they arrived. We would sneak up behind Jackson and grab him, then we would release Gem. We would escape the cave and take a detour so we didn't run into the other pack, by then my dad should be here to help us fight.

We all transformed and I lead the ambush. Gem spotted me and knew my plan straight away.

"So, you freakish brute, what do you want with me?"