Chapter 10: Responsibility

"Hello... sorry I never caught your name yesterday." She cackled.

"None of your business." I quoted her.

"Very witty, aren't you." Her humour gone. "Is your mother home, I have some adult wolf stuff to talk to her about." She said, like she was some mature adult.

"Oh so you're a werewolf? What pack? What is your status?" I was suddenly caught off guard and my curiosity got the better of me.

"Yes, Harlington pack and I'm Alphas wife." She said, calm, too calm. "Now, is your mum home or not?"

"Yes, let me get her."

I called her down, and told her who it was.

"She claims to be a wolf; she says she was the pack leader's wife from Harlington. She seems really weird."

"Ok, I'll take it from here." She picked up the phone.

I went off to my room to study for my test on Monday. Just as I got into it, I heard my mum burst out laughing downstairs. I zoned it out until it had finished. I focused on the boring five-page fact file about the battle of Hastings. I tried to remember all the main facts that I would need to pass.

My mum came up and grinned at me.

"That was Macy from the Harlington pack. All she wanted was to invite me and your dad over for a few weeks. Could you look after Gem for that long, and the pack? Since me and your dad are away we think you can look after them."

"What about Carlos? He's Beta, isn't he going to look after the pack?"

"He has to come with us, it's a county pack meeting, Alphas and Betas have to go." She answered.

"Yeah, I'll manage." I lied, I would have Gem, the pack plus homework and tests to deal with.

"We leave Monday; we won't be back for a month or so." She looked concerned.

"I'll shop once a week for the essentials, shower me and Gem every night and host pack gatherings as usual, I'll get information from the night and day patrols and get everything sorted. If worst comes to worst, we can live off toast." I said light hearted.

"Ok, I'll leave you all the money you'll need in enveloped for each week."

"Fine." I said, rolling my eyes.

She left then, I peered at my clock and it read nine o'clock, perfect. I wiggled into my onesie and went to bed. No dreams hit me tonight, just as I'd hoped.

It was Saturday, so I slept in 'till noon. I then got up and wandered around the house for a bit. I decided on doing some house work since my mum was leaving and I wanted the house clean so I didn't have do it too many times when she was away. I cleaned the kitchen, and mopped it. I dusted and hoovered everywhere. I cleaned the windows, I did the dishes. I even cut the grass. At five I made fajitas for tea and we ate and spoke about out weeks, as usual. When that was over, I washed the dishes again. I then had a shower and went to bed. It was a short and boring day. The anticipation for Monday had been eating at me. I didn't sleep to well, I got about three hours of it.

Sunday zoomed past faster than Saturday. The whole day was packing and saying good byes. I was left a chores list, and four separate shopping lists. Mrs Marleen was going to check up on us every day around five. They kissed us good bye one last time around eight then left. They morphed in the front garden and howled their good byes to the pack. They got a chorus of howls back. Then they galloped off into the shadows.

I looked at Gem who seemed to be thrilled with the arrangements. I made her go brush her teeth and go to bed. I said good night and made sure all her homework was done. Then I went to bed myself.

The next morning, we got ready for school. I made breakfast and did the dishes. I washed my face and teeth. I pulled on some clean clothes then waited downstairs for Mrs Marleen. She arrived with Tammy in the front seat, grinning like she had just won an award. We climbed in the back of the black van and headed to school.

School was hard to concentrate on since I had to figure out which jobs needed doing when I got home. I decided to make a to do list. I came up the obvious, washing, sweeping, shopping and homework. My day went fast and at the end of it I grabbed Gem and we morphed at the back of the school and ran home. To make my day more hectic, I had a pack meeting and a night patrol to do. As soon as I got home, I set Gem to work. I had her to the sweeping and I called Mrs Marleen over to keep an eye on her. I asked her to do the dark washing while I went to the shops to get food for the week.

I went to the butchers to grab some sausage and burgers, chicken and mince. I went to the bakers to get a loaf of bread and some buns. I went to the grocers to grab the fruit and veg. by the time I got home all the chores were done and pardoned Mrs Marleen so she could go get ready for tonight.

"Don't forget the trifle." I called after her, laughing light heartedly.

"I won't Ma'am." She said bowing her head, very sullen.

It was so weird to be alpha, I was only fifteen. I was about to correct her but she had already left. I started on the dinner and Gem helped.

Around seven, everyone arrived, bowing their heads in respect when they greeted me. It was rather embarrassing. We all headed into the back yard.

"Well, let's get started. As you all know, my mum and dad are out of town this month, so I am Alpha. If you would be as kind as calling me Jo and not bowing, I would be most thankful."

Everyone nodded and stared at me for more information.

"I have been told that there has been no movement from the wild pack at the northern border. And nothing has changed at the other borders, so we can all relax and take it easy. Go and enjoy the food my fellow wolves." I giggled and everyone dispersed.

After the meal I headed back inside as everyone filed out in a steady stream. I went and changed into my scruffs and Mrs Marleen stayed for the night to watch Gem.

The night was uneventful, we watched the pack all night, they didn't do anything. They just walked around their camp. I found it pointless and went home around three in the morning.

I climbed into my comfy bed and dreamed. Dreamed about my mum and dad on their travels to Harlington. Dreamed about Gem, getting kidnapped. And this time, I was unable to help her.

m+���CQ�