Chapter 1

"That's doesn't really appeal to me." I said over the phone.

"Oh c'mon sweetheart. Being a reporter runs in the family." My dad said and I sighed.

"I don't think it's for me dad." I mumbled walking into Maxwell Lord's office. "Now I gotta go. My interview is literally starting right now!" I quickly hang up and put my phone in my purse.

"Crystal Kent, right?" He asked me from his desk.

"Yes. Thank you so much for seeing me Mr. Lord." 

"Please, call me Max." 

If he does end up being my boss, let's be real, I'm not gonna call him that.

"Now I've heard you're here to apply for the assistant job."

"Yes, I saw on your website that you were looking for an assistant. This is the field of work I want to go into and I thought who better to learn it from than you." I said handing him my résumé.

"Thank you. And I am very flattered." He said flipping through my résumé.

"So tell me about yourself." 

He put the papers down and looked at me expectantly. My nerves were getting the best of me and it was at this moment that I wished I was my mom, the infamous Lois Lane, with her never ending confidence. Why did one of the most successful business men in Metropolis and Gotham City combined (not including Bruce Wayne of course) have to be giving me his undivided attention and making me doubt everything I've ever accomplished. To be honest, I kinda wondered why Maxwell Lord decided to conduct this interview himself anyways. Doesn't he have people for that?

"I graduated from Gotham Academy five years ago. I went to Gotham University for electrical engineering and graduated from there just this past year. And during those four years at university I worked a part time job at Wayne Enterprises." I said trying to sound professional and somewhat qualified. I was channeling all my inner Lex Luthor  during this interview. Well, not the evil Lex Luthor that the public doesn't see, but the articulate, business Lex Luthor who runs a multi-billion dollar company. You get me?

"Wow, I'm impressed." He said looking at my résumé again. "I always make sure to be careful when choosing an assistant. It is a job I hold very high. I don't just view it as a job for anyone who wants to pursue administration, but as an opportunity for someone interested in my field to shadow me and learn on the job."

"Well, thank you for coming to me and I will read over the emails again. I'll get back to you in the next few weeks."

"Thank you so much Mr. Lord for your time." I said as I walked out of his office. I made my way down into the main lobby and walked outside. It was a nice day out. Hasn't rained in about two weeks which is fine by me.

"That didn't take long at all." My mom said from the drivers seat.

"You know I could've driven myself." I grumbled like the 24 year old child that I am. She didn't have to come. "And we had already emailed each other before so he just wanted to see me in person."

"I see." She said with a shrug. I watched my mom shift the car into drive and turn to me with a smile, "Find your own way home my ever-so-grateful child."

"Wait! Mom where are you going?" I yelled as she left.

"If you don't want me here you can get home yourself!" She replied laughing as I fumed.

My watched beeped and I looked down to see Bruce was calling. Oh joy, my third nagging wannabe parent. 

Calm down Chris at least you have parents.