Audition

A/N: Hey all! Hope you are enjoying the story so far! I have an additional disclaimer for this chapter and some words of advice.

Disclaimer: I do not own the song within this chapter! I didn't write it and I do not own it! It was written by Richard Henry Zachary S. Stilgoe, Charles A. Hart, Mike Batt, Sam Andrew Gumbley, Andrew Lloyd Webber and copyright belongs to: Warner/Chappell Music Publishing Ltd., The Really Useful Group Ltd.

Advice: I highly recommend listening to the song Phantom of the Opera when you get to that part. I promise, it will help you visualize the audition. Don't ask..just read : )

/Thoughts/

It took several weeks for Yugi's wounds to completely heal after the beating he received. Anzu and Ryou turned into mother hens when they found out about the incident. They rushed over to Yugi turning him every which way to make sure he was really okay. Joey and Tristen bombarded Yugi and Yami with questions which they could not answer and Malik, Marik, and Bakura seethed. Murder could be seen burning deep in their eyes. Their thirst for blood heightened to a new level. In Bakura's words, "Nobody screws with the shrimp except us."

Yami stayed true to his word. He was at Yugi's door at 7:40 am every morning to pick him up for school and waited for him every afternoon by the double doors at the entrance to the school to drive him home. Except one day.

Yugi had all of his textbooks for his homework that night crammed into his bag. He shifted the overweight bag to a more comfortable position on his shoulder while he approached the double doors of the school. His tanned doppelganger was nowhere to be found.

/That's strange, he is usually always here./ Yugi looked down each hallway without any sign of Yami. His brows furrowed as he thought where he could be.

As a last effort to locate the crimson eyed Egyptian, he took the staircase leading up to the rooftop. He paused upon arrival as a strange and beautiful sound met his ears. Moving silently forward, he peered around the brick corner of the building. Yami stood at the far end of the rooftop next to the metal fence staring off into the distant horizon lost in his own world.

The sun's rays danced on the ocean waves below making them sparkle. As Yugi silently approached his tanned doppelganger, he realized the strange and beautiful sound he heard was coming from Yami. /Is that...Arabic he's singing in?/ Yugi thought as he strained to listen harder. The longer Yugi listened, the more entranced he became in the haunting melody. The more he wanted it. The more he needed it.

After several minutes, the song ended; Yami's eyes refocused as he realized he was not alone. Crimson blinked as the tanned cheeks were painted as red as his eyes.

"Yami, that was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard," Yugi admitted.

"Thank you," Yami looked down remembering he was supposed to meet Yugi, "I'm sorry I wasn't there to meet you. I just had to get that out."

"No, don't apologize. Why aren't you singing professionally?" Yugi tilted his head to the side.

Yami was taken aback, "I don't want to. I can only really do that when I can't fight back any longer."

"I'm confused. What do you mean, you can't fight back anymore?" Yugi asked arching an eyebrow.

"I don't know how to describe it. I don't think there is even a way I can explain it," Yami turned back to stare at the ocean; his face pensive.

"Well, if you ever want to discuss, I'm here for you. Also, regardless of whether or not you can explain it, it was still the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. You have a gift Yami," Yugi smiled warmly at the Egyptian.