Chapter 6 The Great Argument

Maggie left me to my thoughts once again... When suddenly a burning question entered my mind. I walked over to Barbossa who was at the helm.

"Why do you think this is your ship?" I asked calmly, and simply like a child. I was currently unable to raise my voice because of the long day I had had.

"Because I hold onto in better than Jack" he said just as simply.

"If that's true then why was Jack on this ship AFTER you 'stole it'." I said slowly regaining my voice, but still held my calm tone.

"We came to an understanding" He replied, then looked away from me. Trying to change the subject I presume.

"Ahh, an understanding eh? ... But it's still your boat. I see..." I said, making my sarcasm well known. "Well then, on to my next question, why did you betray him? Couldn't you have gotten your own ship?" I asked curiously, which was a huge conrrast to the knot of anger I felt inside.

"This be the best ship in the Caribbean... and I wanted it. Why should I settle fer less?" He said ovbiously trying to make me feel stupid... But like I said, only I had that ability. And I wasn't stupid.

"That wasen't my question now was it? If I had asked, 'what was you profit for betraying Jack' then that answer would make sense... But I asked, why did you betray Jack? He belived in you, you know..."

"Ha!" he scoffed

"He belived in you..." I said softly but sternly.

"No he didn't"

"He believed in you, and you betrayed him!" I said with my voice slightly rising with each word, "Why do you think he made you first mate? Because he thought you were an ignorant fool!? No, because he knew that you would be the best first mate a Captain could ever have! How could you do that to him and not care a lick about it after?!" I was shouting now, I didn't want to...but I was.

"I'm a pirate that's what pirates do..." he said with an evil grin.

"Pirates, pirates, pirates!" I scoffed, "You and Jack are not only pirates, but human beings!  With emotions and feelings!  And love!  Yes love!  You hide behind your pirate title, so you won't have to face up to the fact that what you did was wrong!!" I said my voice had gained full potential by the end of my statement.

He slapped me across the face, I didn't flinch or scream.  I knew the risks I took saying those things.  And I couldn't blame him for being upset at me for saying it.

"Why are you so angry?!  Because you know it's true?  Or because you just hate me?" I asked a semi-rhetorical question.

Just then Maggie walked up. "What's going on here?" she asked calmly, but nervous because she probably knew that look in my eyes by now.

"We're just talking." I said calmly, which contradicted the mood of my and Barbossa's previous conversation.

"You still didn't answer my question Barbossa... Was it worth it to betray Jack?" I said with an odd mixture of compassion, and anger in my eyes.

"Why does that matter now?... Why don't you just leave him alone?" she said with exhaustion in her voice, from the constant arguments I started. I didn't blame her for how she felt about my temper, but I also didn't blame myself for having one...

"It matters for two things, one, if he has betrayed his best friend once, what's to stop him from betraying you?  And two, his answer will tell me if he'd betray Jack again."

"Go on Barbossa, tell her it was worth it." she said smugly.

After several seconds of silence he said, "Yes..."

"That's all I needed to know..." I said sadly, and calmly.

He left to his cabin and Maggie followed him.

Maggie's POV

"I'm sorry about that Barbossa, when she's upset she takes it out on other people." I said angy at my sister, for behaving that way.

Barbossa then filled me in on what the rest of the conversation was about.

Suddenly in an act of pure impulse I went to confront her.

Rose's POV

Maggie stormed over to me.

I laughed silently to myself... She had that look on her face that meant she was in the mood to try and convice me I'm wrong... Again.

"Rosemary Smith!" she barked.

I took a deep breath, which turned into a yawn.

"How dare you say those things to Barbossa!  It's his ship after all!!!!  Barbossa had every right to take this ship!  Jack has no use or purpose, but the ship does.  Jack's just utterly useless!"

It was funny seeing her act that way.  I knew she was trying to make me angry.  And it was working. But I would not give her the satisfaction of seeing me blow up.

"Well, you are entitled to your own opinion." I said with an eery cheerfullness.  That my sister would reconize as one of my many ways of being sarcastic.

"It's a fact not an opinion!"

I laughed hysterically.

"Have you gone completing mad?!!" Maggie exclaimed.

I slowed down my laughing to say, "Your funny!" Then I burst out laughing again.

"It wasen't a joke.  Jack is a bumbling idiot!  He'll never amount to anything!"

So that's how she wanted to play.  My laughing faded into an angry scowl, "I would kill you if you were not my sister!  Unless you have something intellegent to say to convince me that I am wrong, I sugest you shut up. Because, I do NOT like being told what to think or say, by an ignorant woman who knows nothing about betrayal! Oh, and by the way, tell your muitaness boyfriend that he can shut it as well!"

Maggie stormed off to Barbossa's cabin.  And I stood there looking into the ocean, letting the tears fall from my cheeks and onto the deep blue sea.

"I miss you Jack..." I wispered softly.