Chapter 5 - Why?

Chapter 5 – Why?

“Hello! Earth to Kim!” Alex snaps her fingers in my face. “I swear if you zone out one more time I’m not even gonna try and bring you back to reality, I’ll just ditch you.” She finished. “Well at least I know that I have supportive friends!” I laughed dryly. “Ok sarcasm noted but seriously this is not healthy.” Why does she always have to be right? “Sorry I just can’t stop thinking about it alright?!” She places a comforting hand on my shoulder. “Kim. You deserve much better than him alright! You’re funny, you’re sweet, you’re the most caring person I know and you don’t deserve to have your heart broken by a jerk that can’t see what’s right for him if he’s staring it right in the face. You are beautiful ok! You don’t need a boyfriend to prove that.” Alex finishes off her mini speech. “You know that is the most caring thing I have ever heard you say to anyone.” I breathe out. “Thanks! I try. Now let’s get to class before second bell rings.” She states, rushing off towing me behind her. “Way to ruin a perfect moment.” I laugh as my best friend drags me to first period.

The front door slams shut behind me once I step into the familiar hallway. I walk through the nearest doorway and find myself in the living room, face to face with my mother. She’s crying. She never cries. I drop my schoolbag on the floor seconds before I race over and wrap my arms around her. “What’s wrong mum? Why are you crying?” I ask her gently. She doesn’t look like she’s gonna stop crying anytime soon. “You know what? How about you sit down on the couch and calm down while I go and make you a cup of tea,” I reason softly. Wanting nothing more than to know what made my mother cry.

I creep back into the holding the steaming mug of hot chocolate carefully in my hands. What? We were out of tea… I slowly place the mug down on the small table in front of the couch where my mum was now sitting, carefully dabbing around her eyes with a tissue. She’s calmed down a bit but she’s still sobbing quietly. “Sorry. We were out of tea so hopefully hot chocolate will do,” I explain to her when she sees the steaming mug. “Don’t worry Kimberly it’s fine,” she states, her voice quivering a bit from the sobs.

“Mum please tell me why you’re crying? It scares me to see you like this,” I struggle to say with a straight voice. The tears are threatening to spill over my own eyelids now. Whatever is making my mother cry is obviously really bad. I slowly take a seat beside her on the couch, wrapping my arms around her not only for her comfort but for mine as well. “Kimberley I’m so sorry,” she sobs out. “Mum you have nothing to be sorry for now please tell me what’s wrong,” I reply almost desperately. “It’s the doctor. He called me about ten minutes before you came home and,” the rest of her sentence was drowned out by her sobs but I still somehow managed to understand what she said. That one word stabbing me through the heart like a knife.

Niall’s POV (ooh! Changing it up a bit)!

“Please just give me back my phone I need to call her!” I plead desperately. “Niall this relationship of yours isn’t getting the band any publicity at the moment! We needed to do something about it!” He replied smoothly. “What? Posting a fake video of me cheating on my girlfriend on her birthday is the right thing to do? She probably hates my guts at the moment and you won’t let me call her up to say that it’s all just a big misunderstanding!” I yell at him. “Hey I’m the head of your management and I can kick you out of the band at any second so think before you yell next time alright? Oh and we needed the story to be as believable as possible which means she can’t know about this whole scam,” he replies, a smug smile etching its way on to his face. “Really? Because if you kick me out of the band you’re one tweet away from having half the female, teenage population on your doorstep ready to kill you,” I yell even louder to prove my point. The look of realisation of defeat that crosses his face causes me to smirk in triumph. “Fine then! You can call her,” he gives up, taking a key from his pocket and unlocking the top draw of his pristine wooden desk. His hand searches around for a while before remerging with my beloved iPhone. I immediately grab the phone out of his hand and speed out of the room, my fingers already frantically searching through my contacts for her number.

“Kim! Oh my god I’m so sorry! It was all a huge misunderstanding,” I practically shout into my phone as soon as she picks up. “Please forgive me! Management set me up! I had nothing to with it,” I continue when she doesn’t answer. I pause, waiting for her to retaliate in any way, even yelling at me but I’m greeted by silence. I really miss the sound of her voice more than anything right now. “Kim please talk to me. I’m so sorry! It wasn’t my fault,” I plead desperately. I can actually hear some noise from the other end of the line now. But wait, it can’t be. “Kim, why are you crying?” I asked cautiously ignoring the tears that had started to fall down my cheeks a while ago. I can’t wait to hear her voice but at the same time I’m scared, almost terrified to hear her answer. “Niall,” she sobs out. “Yes Kim,” I carefully breathe out. “I have…

Kimberley’s POV (sorry about the switching around…)

cancer.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N - Ok sorry for the extremely long wait but I wanted to finish the next chapter before I posted this one because I'm caring and I didn't want to leave you with a kind of cliffy for a few weeks... You're welcome?

Next chapter will hopefully be up in a week!

Vote, Comment, Fan, Freak out because you're going to a one direction concert in exactly two months and one day... (Oh My Freaking God I'm excited)!!!!!!!!

Ashleigh xx