Chapter 2 - Happy Birthday

“Mum I’m home!” I call out as I burst through the front door. No reply. She’s probably just busy with one of the other kids or on the phone or something. My suspicions are confirmed as I walk through into the kitchen and find her talking on the phone. She notices me and gives me a small smile before turning back and focusing on her phone call. I take this as my cue to leave so I run up to my room. 

Once the door is closed behind me I chuck my school bag down on the floor next to my desk and walk over to pick up my diary from my bedside table. I’ve had this diary since I was 13 so about two years now. I barely ever used it at first but in the past few weeks I’ve just felt the need to write everything down. No one knows about this diary except for me, not even Alex. It just feels like I need to let everything out but at the same time I don’t want to tell anyone about my life. It’s not like there’s anything wrong in my life it’s just… personal. I pick up my favourite purple pen and open up my diary to the next free page. I put pen to paper and just let my thoughts float onto the page. Just as I finish writing the last sentence I hear a shout from downstairs. “Kimberley dinner’s ready.” I peer over at the clock above my desk and realise that I’ve been writing for two hours. I quickly set my diary and pen down on my bedside table and rush out of my room, following the enticing smell wafting out from the kitchen.

When I arrive downstairs I notice that everyone is already sitting around the table. Mum is still in the kitchen attempting to carry out more food than she can carry. I race over and only just managed to save the dish of mashed potatoes before they crashed to the ground. I quietly chuckle to myself before wordlessly taking a few more of the dishes away from mum before taking them out to the table. Once all the dishes and plates have been placed and me and mum are seated the entire family starts digging in. Mum’s an amazing cook which comes in handy when you have such a big family. I help her out sometimes and thankfully some of her skill is rubbing off, on to me. Thanks to the amazing food meal times are usually quiet. Quiet is something rarely found in this household.

After everyone has finished their food I help mum carry out all the dishes and I start loading the dishwasher. All the other kids have already run off to other parts of the house so it’s just me and mum in the kitchen. She clears her throat and I look up from the dishwasher and turn to face her. “That was your doctor on the phone before. She just wants you to come in for a check-up since you haven’t actually been there in five years.” She chuckled dryly. “Was that all mum because you seemed to be on the phone for quite a long time.” I questioned her. “Kimberley we’re in a huge family. We were talking about the other kids as well.” She chuckled again, this time I could see the humour in her eyes. “We just have to take the whole family down to the clinic on Friday afterschool.” She finishes. “That should be fun.” I state, please take note of the sarcasm in my voice.

***Saturday***

Finally it’s the weekend! School’s only been back for one week but already I wish it was the holidays again. The doctor’s appointment was ok I guess. Oh who am I kidding? It was a nightmare! That entire clinic was filled with screaming kids and sick people. Not my idea of a fun time. At least it’s over now, I probably won’t have to go back for a couple of years judging by the amount of times I’ve been there in my entire life. “Kimberley get dressed and come down stairs. We have a surprise for you!” I hear my mum call from downstairs. Seriously?! It’s like nine in the morning! Who gets up that early? Mum knows that I like to just lie in bed doing nothing until like elevenish so she wouldn’t call me down at this time unless it was important. I might as well out what that surprise is. I hate surprises. Five minutes later I’m wearing black skinny jeans and a random purple t-shirt I found, I make my way out of my room and down the stairs.

Soon enough I find myself at the bottom of the stairs and making my way towards the living room. I step through the doorway expecting my family to be waiting for me but it’s surprisingly empty. With the amount of people in this house there is usually at least one person in here. I’m just about to check in the kitchen to see if they were in there when I jump in back fright as everyone leaps out from various hiding places around the room. “Happy Birthday Kimberley!” the shout as I try to control my heart beat. Wait, what? It’s my birthday? I pick up my phone from the coffee table where I had accidentally left it the night before and check the date. February 8th. It’s my birthday. Amongst all the confusion Mum slipped out into the kitchen and was currently arriving back in the room. Only this time there was a huge cake in her hands. “Thank you.” I breathe out as mum hands me a knife so I can cut the cake. It’s a tradition in this family that when it’s your birthday you get to cut the cake. I slowly lower the knife and it sinks into the centre of the cake. I cut eight equally sized pieces and move each of them on to a separate plate. There is still over half the cake left but we will probably just have it for dessert tonight like usual. I hand everyone a piece of cake and we immediately start digging in. I seriously can’t believe I forgot my own birthday…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N - Sorry I took like three weeks to update this story! I actually wrote this chapter before I uploaded the first chapter, but still, I was busy...

Yay! 9 reads!!! I'm pretty sure that at least half of them are mine but still...

I'm home from school sick at the moment so that is why I am updating. Anyone who read TDIAC will know that I'm very inconsistent with uploading and unfortunately it will be the same with this book... As you may have already found out from the three week gap between uploads... Once again sorry...

I am currently working on chapter 4 and as soon as I've finished a few more chapters I will upload.

Just letting you know that I don't think that this story will be very long. For some reason I'm not able to keep a story going for more than 20 chapters... It's annoying but yeah.

Also does anyone want to make a cover for me?!?! It just has to have angels wings in it (or not but I like the idea of having them). Just messages me the links to them when you're finished. If I pick yours I will give you a dedication!

Vote, Comment, Fan, Kiss a 1D poster (I may or may not have already done that...)

Ashleigh xx