Chapter 1 - First Day

Kimberly’s P.O.V

“Kimberley wake up! It’s your first day of school today!” My mums voice woke me from my peaceful slumber. Ok as you have already found out my name is Kimberley. What you don’t know yet though is that my last name is Parkman and that my friends call me Kim. My mother is actually the only one who calls me Kimberley but I don’t know why. It’s probably something to do with her not wanting her only biological child to grow up. I do have brothers and sisters but I’m not actually blood related to any of them. Yep you guessed it. All six of them are adopted. Yes six. Three boys, three girls, all younger than me. I’m not complaining though! It was actually my idea to adopt them. It’s no big deal really. People always ask us how we could open our doors to so many orphans. In our eyes though the question should be how can you not. We have the space and money. When dad died he left us with a huge house and millions of dollars. I still want a job though. I want to feel like I deserve the money I have.  Wow I really need to get out of bed. I flip my purple duvet off of my body and slowly climb off the mattress. I slump towards my ensuite bathroom and flip on the lights. Yep you heard me right. There are perks to being the oldest kid in a huge house. I slouch over towards the shower and turn the water on.

After my warm shower I feel much more awake and refreshed. I slide over to the basin and brush my teeth and dry my hair. After my teeth are brushed and my hair is dry and knot-free I walk out of the bathroom and towards my walk-in-wardrobe. Yes another perk of being the oldest kid in a huge house. After a few minutes of searching and trying on different clothes I finally pick out my outfit for the day. I give myself a quick once over in the full sized mirror on the wall in front of me. I’m wearing a pair of dark blue denim mini shorts paired a sparkly belt and a tucked in black singlet with a light blue crop-top over the top. My outfit is paired with my favourite black chucks. Once I’m happy with my choice of clothes I walk out of my wardrobe, pick up my pre-packed school bag and walk out of my bedroom, downstairs towards the kitchen. I don’t wear makeup anymore. I used to think that I needed it to make myself look pretty but then I met my boyfriend. He’s amazingly sweet and it took some time but eventually he convinced me that I don’t need makeup to look pretty. I don’t see him that much anymore. He’s usually in a different country on tour with his band but whenever he is in the country or has a break he spend as much time as possible with me. I have however left out one tiny detail about him… He’s Niall Horan from One Direction. I know that you’re probably thinking that I’m the luckiest girl in the world and at times I actually do feel like that! But it is definitely hard being so far away from the person you love and at times the emotions get to you but I can’t let that get in the way anymore, I need to be a good role model for my little brothers and sisters.

“Hey mum! What’s for breakfast?” I yell over the mayhem that is my family. “Hey Kimberley! We’re having pancakes to celebrate the first day of school. Can you get the plates out and set the table please?” I run into the kitchen and open up the cupboard that contains the plates. The faster we get breakfast ready the sooner the mayhem dies down. The noise really gets to you after a while. I grab eight plates and the same amount of cutlery and then race out to set the table.

Half an hour later and all eight of us are packed into our van. Yep van. It’s not impossible to fit eight people in a normal car but it is hard. Believe me we’ve tried. After my mum double checked to make sure that everyone was buckled we set off on the familiar school run that we travelled every single school day last year. All of us are still going to the same schools that we went to last year which was a huge relief to mum who was terrified of getting us to school late. First we go to the primary school which is about ten blocks away from our house. That is the stop where we automatically get twice the amount of leg room because half of the car’s occupants get out. The second stop is the intermediate school where we lose a further two kids and last but not least is my college on the other side of town. It’s a small college, there are only about 500 students there but I like it that way. The whole school run takes about half an hour but I don’t mind the long wait. I just plug in my head phones and take the time to listen to my music. When we finally get to my school I immediately jump out of the car, wave goodbye to mum and run over towards my best friend who is waiting by the front gates. “Hey Alex!” I screamed out at her. “Hey Kim!” She screamed back just as loud. We immediately ran straight towards each other and before we knew it we were hugging the life out of each other. I’ve known Alex for years, she’s like my other half. We know everything about each other and we can’t live without each other. It sounds dramatic and it probably isn’t true but oh well. “The bell will go any minute now and then we just have to go to the hall to find out our form classes for the year.” Alex informed me. “So in other words it’s the same as every year.” I laughed back at her. Just at that moment a shrill ringing sound burst out through the school grounds and everyone immediately turned and headed towards the hall in their little groups. “I hope we’re in the same class this year.” I spoke my thoughts out loud. “Yeah I hope so too.” Alex replied.

It a hot summer’s day and we have been sitting in the school hall, listening to the principal going on about who knows what, with no windows open and no air conditioning on for exactly 1 hour. Luckily me and Alex managed to snag a couple of seats near the back by the door which lets a slight breeze in whenever someone opens it. Unfortunately that has only happened once. It is literally impossible to pay attention to whatever they are talking about up on the stage. It’s just too boring. My head suddenly snaps up as the principal announces that he is going to read out he form class lists. Please let me be in a good form class! I only have to spend the whole year with them…

Bbrrriiinngg!!! I immediately start packing up my school bag at the sound of the final bell, ending the school day. The first day is pretty much always just getting to know the rest of the class which is kinda pointless since we are such a small school and already pretty much know everyone. Thankfully Alex is in the same class as me! The rest of our form class is so boring. I would die without her! We actually got one of the nicest teachers in the school and she let us choose our own seating plan so of course we are seated next to each other! As soon as I finish packing my bag I stand up and join Alex who is waiting patiently beside my desk. We wordlessly walk towards the door and out into the already crowded hallway. We steal a smirking glance at each other before jumping into the crowd. “First one to the bus stop wins!” We shout out in unison. Yes I catch the bus home. My school finishes half an hour later then the other two schools my family goes to so it’s much easier for me to catch the bus rather than have the whole family come out to pick me up. After a few minutes of barging and shoving I finally make it to the bus stop only to find Alex already standing there, smirking at me. She laughs and I shake my head in defeat as we climb onto our bus which is nearly empty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N - I'm back! Yes I know I haven't posted any stories in like ages but in my defence I was working on this! So in other words welcome to the start of my second ever story on WattPad!

Just letting you know that I do know where I want to go with this story! I actually wrote the last chapter first because I just randomly got the inspiration for it one day so then I wrote the description and now I'm working on the rest of the chapters! I'm still not sure how long this story will be and the chapters will probably be quite short as well.

Also this story will definitely not have a sequel! Trust me when you eventually read the last chapter you will understand.

Oh yeah... The nine words mentioned in the description. You find out what they are in the last chapter.

Ok if you haven't read my first story 'The Day It All Changed' the go check it out and if you have then I would hug you but that wouldn't exactly work now would it?!

Vote, Comment, Fan, Hug a cat.

Ashleigh xx