Madness

ONCE UPON A TIME, little Alice Liddell fell down the rabbit hole.

Once upon a time, little Alice Liddell visited a wondrously strange place she would then call Wonderland.

Once upon a time, little Alice Liddell woke up and realized that it was all just a dream.

And once upon a time, a not-so-little Alice Liddell returned to Wonderland—with a mind that's gone entirely bonkers and a will to drive the Wonderlanders into madness—and into madness they've certainly been driven.

As she watched her elder sister, Lorina, hang from a tree like a pendulum, Alice couldn't help but feel bile rising up her throat. She wanted to scream, but her lips felt as if it were sewn shut; her feet were frozen in place and her brain had seemed to stop working—so the only thing Alice could do was stare.

Lorina's eyes were still wide open, and what once were rosy cheeks were pale and even had a tinge of blue. Her body simply swayed from side to side, and suddenly, the warm sunshine that shone over the Liddell's lawn seemed a bit inappropriate at a sorrowful time like this.

For once, Alice hated sunshine.

When she finally regained her senses, the first thing Alice did was let tears spill down her cheeks like an overflowing sink. She wanted to call for their mother and tell her the terrible news, but all Alice did was weep at her beloved sister's death. Her eyes blurred and stung as if she were underwater, and that was when she noticed a note laying among the flowers that had somehow managed to grow under the shady tree.

Though reluctant at first, Alice made her way towards the piece of paper. She bent to pick it up, and as Alice unfolded the note, she spotted her name written on the top left corner of the page in Lorina's classical, loopy handwriting—and she knew immediately that the note was meant for her.

Dearest Alice, the note began.

I am sorry for leaving you, dear sister, but I could not stand it any longer. I caught William having an affair a couple of months ago, and he promised me that he wouldn't do it again. He begged for my forgiveness and even asked for my trust back. I was livid and hurt, but being the fool I am, I eventually did—after all, isn't that what relationships are all about? Trust upon each other?

Though both of us had managed to convince myself that he would stop, he never did. I couldn't bear the thought of filing a divorce, but the pain overwhelmed me and I wanted a way out—and it seems that I've found it.

Alice, I know you will do well without me. I've watched you grow for so many years now, but it feels as if it were only yesterday when you first said my name.

Do you remember that day by this very tree? When I was reading to you a tale of sorts and you drifted off, dreaming of a place you called Wonderland? Well, Alice, Wonderland seems to be an interesting place; I hope to visit it soon.

I'm sorry I had to commit such a horrifying deed here where many of our happy memories lay together. I'm sorry, I truly am—maybe someday you can find it in your heart to forgive this sister of yours who loves you very, very much. I'm not really gone, Alice, I hope you know that. I will always be in your heart and watch over you as an angel would. Take care, dear sister.

Love,
Lorina

At this point, the tears were falling at a more rapid rate. Her head was swarming with horrible thoughts, such as that of following her sister and straight into the supposedly imaginary world her mad mind's created.

But then she thought of an idea—

And oh dear, what an idea she's thought of—

She would spread her growing insanity to the innocent, little Wonderlanders.