On the bus, Nawal texted her mother. Knowing she didn't want to repeat the same mistake she did last time.

Going to city with friends will be home by 5pm!

Immediately Ghazala called. Sighing, Nawal glided her thumb on the green icon to accept the call.

"Nawal who are you going with?" Nawal heard her Mom screeching voice as soon as she placed the phone on her ear. She winced.

"Mom it's just Lisa and Aoife."

"Those gori (white) girls?"

It peeved her knowing her mother wasn't happy that she made friends with non-Muslims. All her life, she had heard from her mother to make Muslim friends. She had been in the Islamic School where they had been very strict rules and regulations. Now that she was in University she wanted to enjoy this new found freedom. But apparently, her mother and brothers were after her to put further restrictions.

"Mom, please. I will be home by 5pm."

"I don't like them Nawal." Mom warned.

"It's only cosmetic shopping." She whined darting her eyes at her friends who were busy chatting. She didn't want them knowing yet again her mother was after her. "Mom later, promise to be home at 5pm. Bye"

She hurriedly hung up before her mother would have reprimanded her more.

Dumbfounded, Ghazala stared at her mobile phone. Her daughter had just hung up without even waiting for her response. She rubbed her temple as the veins started throbbing. She was worried, very worried for the welfare of her only daughter. Nawal was adamant on breaking all the rules that were set in the house.

"Mom, what's the matter?" Arbaaz sauntered into the kitchen and went straight to the fridge where he took out the milk bottle and filled a glass with it.

"Nothing" she mumbled standing up from the kitchen chair and intended to wash the dishes.

"You seem tensed." He gauged taking sip of the cold milk. Arbaaz was determined to gain weight. He was too skinny and tall. At 17 years he looked awkward and lanky with long slim arms and legs. He was inspired by his older brothers and working hard to gain weight. He even substituted water with milk.

"Your sister gives me a headache." She said turning on the tap.

"Tell me something we don't know," he snickered sipping remaining milk in the glass. "Don't worry Mom. She is a big girl now. I am sure she knows what is good and bad." he said coming behind his mother and kissing her cheek.

Ghazala knew Nawal may have recently turned 19, but she still acted like a rebellious teenage girl.

"I hope so. I really do." she whispered with fear in her heart.

****

"I am really hungry let's have something to eat before we shop," Aoife whined.

"O'Briens is nearby, let's grab a sandwich and coffee." Lisa suggested.

Together, the girls settled in the café to have a quick bite.

"Why do you never eat meat? Are you vegetarian?" Aiofe scrunched her nose taking a bite of her honey chilli chicken hot wrap.

"No I am not a vegetarian but as a Muslim, I can only eat meat that is permissible or called Halal in Arabic. The halal meat is slaughtered in a specific manner." Nawal replied chewing her Italian vegetarian sandwich.

Lisa's forehead creased, "But I have seen you eating tuna sandwiches with us."

Nawal nodded, "Yes fish doesn't need to be slaughtered and so we can eat any kind of fish or seafood. It is permissible to have all kinds of seafood."