Those types of people were the worst. Our father gave us a healthy allowance when we did something substantial, every dollar was hard earned. People looked at Devonte and me and assumed we were drowning in cash since we actually owned Audemar watches. If it wasn't for winning the city title back in the fall, proving that the remaining two Parker boys at Moorehead High still had it, we wouldn't have gotten shit but extra running from our father. We worked our asses off and every luxury we had was earned. We weren't spoiled, that was for damn sure.

"It's interesting that you say that, Darnel. You take after your father in that your position is also point guard. You've been the talk of the city for years and a lot of us are curious on your take on the upcoming draft."

My father glanced at Darnel and I could only imagine the amount of pressure on his shoulders. I wasn't too worried though, Darnel was the strongest out of all three of us.

He leaned over, propping his elbows on his knees and looking Susan in the eye as he began to speak. "I've played ball for as long as I can remember. It's always been about basketball and it's almost what everyone just wants to talk about when they meet me. Most people when they speak about college they say to take it seriously and to put in the effort now because it'll be worth it in the end. Basketball's always come first and right now I wanna put learning ahead of that. The NBA will always be there."

My father was not pleased.

The hard look on his face made me sink into my seat, grateful that it wasn't my question.

It also pissed me off. When did Darnel get so damn soft? He was top ten in the country and rumors were constantly going around that he was going to be the number one draft pick. He was willing to throw it all away for school? Didn't he want to go pro as bad as the rest of us?

Susan perked a brow. "So no NBA?"

Darnel shrugged. "I've got all the time in the world. They want me so bad; they can stand to see where I'm at in a few years decision wise."

We all looked at my father besides Darnel.

"How do you feel about that, Darrel?" Susan asked.

My father looked at Darnel, observing him and appearing calm. "He's coming from a position where he was the best high school athlete as far as basketball goes, now he's in college full of guys who were the best in their respective schools. If he wants to wait a year or two to really train himself, that's the best he can do than rush into something he's not ready for."

We were Darrel Parker's sons, we were fuckin' born ready.

Susan turned to Devonte and me. "I've seen the work you boys put in this season and a lot of sports fans are proud to see the Parkers all have it. It seems like you two are just in your own worlds on that court, almost like you challenge each other on who can score the most points per game. I remember I saw the Arlington High game and it felt that way."

Devonte and I pounded fists, both appearing cocky at her remark.

"Some teams we just know we're gonna beat, so we go out and just do our thing," Devonte said.

"Arlington's team is pretty hit or miss, some years they have it, others they don't. We knew we had that game so we just felt like entertaining after a while." I almost laughed, remembering how Coach had scolded Chris for doing a little dance when he'd score a perfect three.

The crowd was in hysterics that night. Between Devonte and my scoring and Chris showboating, it was one hell of a game.

"Well since we're on the sports track, tell me what you guys listen to when you work out," said Susan.