Chapter 4: Get Your Diego Hands Off Me!

Начните с самого начала

I decided I'd wait for her to apologize or call first. I wasn't going to be the one to do it. She had to realize it herself and talk to her daughter when she felt like she wanted to. I didn't want to force her into talking to me. I wanted her to want to talk to her daughter like she was meant to. Why was I meant to do it? I signed as I stuffed my leftovers back into the bag and popped myself down on the bed.

What was I going to do?

I threw the unnecessary questions out my head and turned over, closing my eyes. But sleep never came and I turned over again, trying to get comfortable. But my body was used to staying up through night and day. At night my mother and her boyfriend argued and it kept me up, to the point where I just couldn't sleep anymore. The hitting and the sounds of loud voices, it just never stopped.

Even now when I closed my eyes, I could hear them screaming, I could hear her sobbing. I still heard it even when I was away from her. I turned over again and glanced at my alarm clock. 9:45pm.

Still no sleep had reached me. I signed and sat up, ranking a hand through my hair. I took off my hoodie and put on a black sports bra with my Jordan black jogging pants. Maybe I could go for a jog and come back without my father noticing I was gone. Or I could just lie, which seemed like a better plan. I slipped on my black sneakers and decided to throw back on my hoodie, just in case it was cold. As silently as possible, I walked out my room and down the stairs. Luck was on my side, the stairs didn't creak at all. Once I was out the front door, I shoved my headphones into my ear and began to jog in the opposite way of the stores.

Quickly, I passed out of the neighborhood and was near a park that was by the large cluster of trees. Why put a park so close to trees? Strange.

I continued forward and saw a skateboard park. It was full of twisting railings and curved ramps everywhere. I noticed that they were groups of kids out, bikes and skateboards all about. Some wore helmets and others didn't. I watched as a boy on a bike went onto a deep ramp, throwing him in the air and curving back into a flip, landing perfect back on the ramp and doing it on the other end. Amazing. I stopped jogging completely and watched another person on a skateboard went across a railing, flipping off of it into the air. He too landed perfectly.

Suddenly I heard someone say something but with my headphones in I couldn't hear the exact words coming out their mouth.

I turned at the sound of the voice and noticed someone on a skateboard charging towards me. Before I could even move, they slammed into me, knocking the oxygen out of my lungs. I landed hard on the ground beneath me. The person on top of me wasn't even breathing hard as they climbed off of me and then picking up their skateboard. The person, a boy about my age, stared down at me.

I stumbled to my feet and pulled my headphones out my ear. I took a deep breath and rubbing my back, a little bit of pain stabbing me from the fall.

"Sorry about that. I did give you a warning though." The boy said, smiling and rubbing the back of his neck.

I held up the headphones and said, "I didn't hear you."

The boy nodded, his light blond hair moving easily. "I figured that out."

Two people rolled up on bikes, slapping the boy on his back. One of the two took of their red helmet; it was a girl with long blonde hair, her bright blue eyes shining.

"Nice going, Jeremy."

The other of the two pulled of their helmet; it was a boy with dark brown hair and light brown eyes.

"Yeah, Sarah's right, you could have killed her."

Jeremy continued to smile and said, "But I didn't."